Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.
SOLVED!

Twinmotion: questions and issues

Anonymous
Not applicable
1. Not all elements import into Twinmotion. Some pieces of walls, moldings, especially custom profiles do not transfer through. For some reason the edge of one of the plies of a roof composite does not show. Any idea why some components don't transfer through?

2. Is there a way to change the settings so that Twinmotion does not arrange elements by materials? For instance, all pine materials from ArchiCAD come through as one layer, and if I want to change the material in Twinmotion of one chair that has that pine material assigned to it, it changes that material throughout the imported project. I'l like to be able to split them up. Is this possible?

Other than those issues, I find Twinmotion relatively easy to work with and you can come out with great renderings and movies fairly quickly.
26 REPLIES 26
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Steven wrote:

Minh,

That works! Thanks! Looks great.
Hi Steven,

I'm glad that it works well for you, and the issue is what I thought it would be!

For the second issue, I am sorry when I mentioned that there is a way to assign material to multiple objects. It turned out that this is not possible. When you export the file to Twinmotion with "No Merge" option, the elements are categorized into folders, whose names coming from ARCHICAD's layers. It's only for finding elements easier. You can replace material for one object, or to all objects having that particular material. Unfortunately, there is no other option for editing in group!

Let me know if you have any further question regarding this topic!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

rm
Expert
Minh -

I disagree that the problem is file related. I exported a model yesterday out of ArchiCAD 23, that had curtain wall frame pieces and glass panes missing in Twinmotion. TwinMotion is buggy and not ready for "prime time" despite all the excitement surrounding the late release of TM 2020. It seems Lumion is way ahead of TM at this time, though I do believe TM will catch up to Lumion and maybe even surpass it.

mnguyen wrote:
Hi Steven,

Thank you for sharing the issue here and I am sorry about the experience!

I have asked our Twinmotion expert whether he had any missing object/element when transferring to Twinmotion, but unfortunately, we have never experienced such issue before. We think that this might be file-related. Therefore, in order to investigate further, I'm wondering if you could share the file with us for a closer look, along with the DirectLink settings you used for exporting?

Best regards,
Minh
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
rm wrote:
Minh -

I disagree that the problem is file related. I exported a model yesterday out of ArchiCAD 23, that had curtain wall frame pieces and glass panes missing in Twinmotion. TwinMotion is buggy and not ready for "prime time" despite all the excitement surrounding the late release of TM 2020. It seems Lumion is way ahead of TM at this time, though I do believe TM will catch up to Lumion and maybe even surpass it.
Hi Robert,

Thank you for your report! I'm wondering in DirectLink settings, have you unticked the option "Optimize the geometry" before transferring the model to Twinmotion? This tends to cause lots of issues with geometry export.

If you have it unticked, but still there are some missing elements in Twinmotion model, could you share the file with me for a closer look? Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

rm
Expert
Hi Minh -

Your suggestion seems to have helped, at least on the file I am currently working on. I will keep my on this.

Thank you!
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Robert,

Glad it worked out for you!

Have a nice Friday!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Stress Co_
Advisor
After installing Twinmotion 2020... "Directlink" still opens in Twinmotion 2019.

How does one set the default?

Using AC23.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Barry Kelly
Have you installed the 2020.1 direct link plugin?

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/twinmotion/plugins

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Barry wrote:

I just discovered though that if you install the 2020.1 plugin, it does not replace the old (2019) plugin and you will end up with 2 menus and palettes.
You will need to then remove one in the Add-on Manager (or uninstall it through your operating system) - assuming you don't want both.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Stress Co_
Advisor
Barry wrote:
Well...... now that you mentioned it ........... no.
I think that was step #5

Thank you Barry
And you already answered my next question.
How to open in TW 2019

Cheers,
Stay safe & healthy.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)

I am getting this error, after installation.

I have worked one day, on the installation day itself.

Next day when I open the twinmotion, I am getting this error.

How to correct this?? please help me in this.

Screenshot (228).png

Roopa A S