BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Unlinking Elevation Views / Elevation Line Weights

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have 6 separate elevation views I'm working on (actually only 3 elevations, but each elevation needs both an existing and a proposed version), and I need to have the line weights set up differently for each elevation.

I was initially changing the line weights (or fill colors) by editing the pen options for each wall or building element individually, but then when I would switch to a different elevation view, they would no longer be accurate.
(see extremely low quality photo attachment for reference)

To try to fix this issue I changed my elevation view settings from 'auto-rebuild model' to 'drawing' ... unfortunately because I need both an existing and a proposed drawing for each elevation, I am running into issues there as well.

Is there a way to create completely separate elevation views for existing and proposed elevations, which I could then set to 'drawing' mode to edit the line weights or pen sets for each fill? Or is there a faster and more efficient way to go about this?

(disclaimer: I'm super new to ArchiCAD so keep that in mind with your responses please! ) Thanks so much for any feedback you guys can provide!
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
Unlinking or in any way creating 2D drawings is an absolute last resort thing that should be avoided if at all possible. Try to keep your model and all drawings live at all times.

In AC 20, the new Graphic Override (GO) feature can be used to change the appearance, including line weight, of elements in your elevations. Like most other settings, this is saved per-view, so you can customize each view of those elevations.
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-20/archicad-20-reference-guide/views_of_the_virtual...

In AC 19 (your signature) - and AC 20 - Pen Sets are a way of assigning different weights (and colors) to the same pens in different views. A pen set is associated with each view.
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-20/archicad-20-reference-guide/configuration/attrib...

Check out each of these features in the documentation / videos / etc to see which works best for you.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl!
It's good to know that I can use different Pen Sets for different functions. However, is it possible to set one element (a wall, for instance) to show up with different pen settings dependent on the elevation view it is being shown in?
For instance, in one elevation I may want the wall to be darker because it's in the foreground, and in another elevation that same wall is in a much more distant plane, so I need it to show up in a lighter line weight.
Eduardo Rolon
Elevations and Sections have an option called "Distant Area" which you define in floor plan. With that option checked you can override the line weight for the elements without having to start coordinating Pen Sets or Overrides.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Existing and proposed, you could achieve a different pen for all existing elements with renovation filters.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!