BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Use surfaces as 2D hatches in colour schemes

KeesW
Advocate
I am preparing a colour scheme and want to use colours in the surface menu as hatches. How can one do this? I can use pen colours but surface colours?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
2 REPLIES 2
KeesW
Advocate
Following on from the above, I thought to use 'surface painter' but this does not seem to work on flat 2D surfaces. So I created 10mm thck tiles, to create a 3D element, intending to select these and apply the colours with surface painter. But...the 'surface painter' option is grayed out in the 'Wndows/Pallett/Surface Painter'. The Legacy option is turned off and i have no idea why 'surface painter' is not available. It works on walls when selected in 3D views and elevations, but t doesn't seem to work on floor elements. I obviously have to be able to create and print layouts with he correct painted surfaces which can then be labelled.

Any suggestions?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Barry Kelly
The surface painter only works in the 3D view, so if you want to paint floor surfaces you will need to view them in 3D.

However these surfaces will not show in the plan view.
You could try using a cover fill to your slabs and assigning an image fill instead of a regular coloured hatch.
These image fill can be created (in the fill settings) to show a surface texture.

The image fill can also be used directly with the fill tool so no need for 3D floors if you don't need to model them.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!