BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Using External Drawing Feature

Anonymous
Not applicable
I hope I am posting this in the right forum?

Recently, I updated a PDF document and replaced the previous version I was using on one of my layouts. I have the program set to auto update, but it did not do so upon opening the file. I deleted the previous document and used the "Add External Drawing" function. I selected the appropriate PDF file and asked the program to add the document. Instead of the document, only a small box with a title block appeared stating the file "was not read yet".

How does one overcome this hurdle? Any and all help is appreciated.

Mike
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Try to select the Drawing, right click it and use the Update command from the context menu.

You can also try to place PDFs by selecting the Drawing Tool and clicking somewhere on the Layout, then the File Dialog comes up where you can select the PDF to placed. IF it is not one page, another Dialog will come up where you can select which page of it you want to place.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to set up a second .pln file for layouts for a large project. I've tried the few different ways I know of to place external views from another project into this one. I've right clicked to place external drawing, I've used the navigator to show another open project's views and drag and drop them and I've use the pull down file/external content/place external drawing and check box the views... I've tried projects I do have open in another instance and project that are not currently open. Nothing is working. I always get the updating file box w/ progress bar that stalls and gives me an "Error while generating..." message. I've tried a few different projects... I don't get what I'm doing wrong. I tend to assume I'm missing something rather than AC14 is....

help?
David Bearss
Booster
I know this is an older post but have started to experience non updating external drawings. It is not project specific as is consistent with all projects. Was there a resolution posted somewhere?
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
Barry Kelly
David wrote:
I know this is an older post but have started to experience non updating external drawings. It is not project specific as is consistent with all projects. Was there a resolution posted somewhere?
Did you play around with the IPC settings by any chance?

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=233746&highlight=ipc#233746

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Bearss
Booster
Have not messed with anything like that.
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
Learn and get certified!