Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Using the detail tool over an entire cross section

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't usually resolve my model perfectly, so in cross section my habit has been to ctrl + C everything and copy it up about 20 metres. This turns it into lines and fills that I can edit and delete to my hearts content.
Really hard to integrate subsequent model changes though.

The other day I was really liking working with the detail tool and thought, why not make my entire cross section a detail?

This way the new 'cross section' can be regenerated if I make a model change, as can happen, but lets me delete parts of the model without penalty and use 2D tools over top.

I'm able to modify the cross sections way more easily.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
I find the opposite works better, make the model as perfect as I can get it, then detail from there, makes changes much quicker & easier.
Having Cadimage tools makes detailing so much easier & quicker also.
Barry Kelly
You can always set your elevation as a 'Drawing' in the settings.
That way it still remains linked to the elevation marker.
It will behave exactly like a detail in that is will just be 2D lines and fills.
At time you want to update it with the model then switch it back to 'Auto Rebuild Model' and then switch back to 'Drawing'

Just like a detail any 3D model elements that you moved, changed or deleted will set back to match the 3D model but any addition 2D annotation you have done will remain unaffected.

Personally I model as much as I need and leave the elevations live and just add a few notes and text.
I can't remember the last time I had to adjust model elements in 2D.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
You can always set your elevation as a 'Drawing' in the settings.
That way it still remains linked to the elevation marker.
It will behave exactly like a detail in that is will just be 2D lines and fills.
At time you want to update it with the model then switch it back to 'Auto Rebuild Model' and then switch back to 'Drawing'

Just like a detail any 3D model elements that you moved, changed or deleted will set back to match the 3D model but any addition 2D annotation you have done will remain unaffected.

Personally I model as much as I need and leave the elevations live and just add a few notes and text.
I can't remember the last time I had to adjust model elements in 2D.

Barry.
You can use Archicad for years and years and never realise these features are there!
Thanks Barry!