BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

VBE - system requirements

Arcadia
Booster
Anyone know if VBE will run on Vista Home Basic or Premium or std Windows XP? I'm having a lot of clients saying they can't run the file and trying to work out why. The documentation says that xp proffessional, or Vista Ultimate, Business, Enterprise needed but I can't see why the other vista versions wouldn't work.

This is most frustrating as us designers or architects probably all have the latest gear but the run of the mill clients often don't.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
13 REPLIES 13
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
most likely it's the graphics card. vbe will be wanting something a lot better than the nasty onboard cards in most budget pcs.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Arcadia
Booster
Yes more than likely but I would still like to know if anyone has succesfully run VBE exe files on other windows versions other than the ones listed in the VBE system requirements info. This would eleminate one thing from the equation.
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
can't help there I'm afraid. i have tried it on vista business 32 and 64 bit, and XP Pro 32, but that's it.

David Shorter
Advisor
Slightly off topic but has anyone had experience with VBE on XP or Vista ultimate running under Parallels or Boot Camp?
The problem I have seen is that under boot camp everything works OK but under parallels, turning on the global illumination causes the building to disappear leaving only the sky. The option to initialize Global Illumination gives a failed message.
Comments anyone
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Karl Ottenstein
David wrote:
Slightly off topic but has anyone had experience with VBE on XP or Vista ultimate running under Parallels or Boot Camp?
The problem I have seen is that under boot camp everything works OK but under parallels, turning on the global illumination causes the building to disappear leaving only the sky. The option to initialize Global Illumination gives a failed message.
Comments anyone
Yes - read the VBE wiki articles. The symptoms you found are described there. Problems with Fusion also. I would think that Boot Camp would be fine though?

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
That'll be because the virtual graphics card that a Virtual Machine will give you is not as good as a real bit of hardware. What the host machine needs to do is pass through the full resources of the system to any VMs, which none of the current VM solutions can do. VMWare ESX is getting closer, but it's still a few years off.

Gorazd
Booster
I am viewing VBE files on Vista Home Premium and XP Pro without any problems. XP Pro is a notebook with onboard graphics with only 64 Mb ram. It is not perfect, but it runs.
------

Gorazd Rajh

AC 25, Ryzen 9 5900HS, 48 GB RAM, RTX 3080, Win 11
Arcadia
Booster
Thanks Gorazd, that the sort of info I was after.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same problems here. I sent a file to two clients the other day both running Vista 64 and both having decent graphic cards and they cannot run it. They tried it on a XP machine and it ran fine.

Any ideas why this would happen please?

Cheers

Neil