Document & Visualize forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VBEg: Speed up Global illumination calculations

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone tell me which piece of hardware we should upgrade to speed up the calculations for the Global Illuminations?

What does VBE use to render? (CPU, RAM, or Graphics card)

Greetings from holland
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
pietervandalen wrote:
Can anyone tell me which piece of hardware we should upgrade to speed up the calculations for the Global Illuminations?

What does VBE use to render? (CPU, RAM, or Graphics card)

Greetings from holland


what machine you have now ? what Operation system ?

When program works on Opengl than your Graphic card does most computing. When you render image then your Cpu. Now Nvidia is developing Cuda or something like that and after this become part of some program then graphic.card will do most of computing when u render image.
Now,when u start Vbu and it is slow, change your comp, take full power of 64 bit sys and you will not regret cos every click and every operation is faster so u save your time while u work
if u have Win operation sys

U will need dual core or more
9800 gtx or more
4 gb ram or more
24" monitor or more

i dont know for Mac

so buy yourself new comp, thats the best solution cos now u can get very good prices especialy in US if u can buy there. I alwys buy from US and i live in Bosnia Everyhing cost less even if i pay all taxes and transport bills

i hope this helps

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Bosnian dude

Thanks for the reply.

Let me try to explain our problem a little bit better.
I work at a architectsburo and when we have designed a new building we would like to present this to the client.
At the moment we are using Zermatt 2.0. For the shadow calculations Zermatt 2.0 uses the graphics card. (Not the Cpu or RAM) We have tried to speed up the calculations with a SLI configuration without any succes.
Our conclusion is that Zermatt 2.0 only uses a single graphic card. A newer card will not work because off errors in calculating.

With the new Virtual Building Explorer (with Global Illumination) we started testing again.

Now our question is: Does anyone know what VBEg use to calculate the global illumination?

CPU, RAM or Graphics card.

our comp config:
i core 7 920
6gb 1333mhz corsair
9600 gt graphics card.
i believe that the size of the monitor doesn't influence the render speed.
but i don't know what kind of screens you have in Bosnia 🙂

greetings from the Netherlands

Anonymous
Not applicable
pietervandalen wrote:
Dear Bosnian dude

Thanks for the reply.

Let me try to explain our problem a little bit better.
I work at a architectsburo and when we have designed a new building we would like to present this to the client.
At the moment we are using Zermatt 2.0. For the shadow calculations Zermatt 2.0 uses the graphics card. (Not the Cpu or RAM) We have tried to speed up the calculations with a SLI configuration without any succes.
Our conclusion is that Zermatt 2.0 only uses a single graphic card. A newer card will not work because off errors in calculating.

With the new Virtual Building Explorer (with Global Illumination) we started testing again.

Now our question is: Does anyone know what VBEg use to calculate the global illumination?

CPU, RAM or Graphics card.

our comp config:
i core 7 920
6gb 1333mhz corsair
9600 gt graphics card.
i believe that the size of the monitor doesn't influence the render speed.
but i don't know what kind of screens you have in Bosnia

greetings from the Netherlands

ofc, but i cant belive that i use to work on 14" monitor


"The Global Illumination method give you the most realistic view of the model. This option is available only in the VBEG version.
Note that you have to render the model with the Global Illumination
engine before you can activate this view style.
Global Illumination and Headlight view styles are using
more resources of the OpenGL Video Cards than the other methods.
In case you work with a very large model or if your computer has a
slow video card we recommend to use the Goraud, Metal or Hidden
Line render modes"

You are probably right, you cant use SLI cos its not programed like that !
And you probably need more horse power via your graphic card cos u have "older graphic card"
when u export your file, how big is it in MB?
Hide 1/2 of your model (with marquee and try then . . . if it works better, then your graphic card is too weak to dislplay your model.
export your model to vb and try on comp with stronger GC

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there.

You say that Global illumination uses more resources from the opengl.
Does this mean that during calculations it only uses the graphics card.
If so, why should someone buy an i7 core.

once again my question:
What does VBEg use to calculate/render the shadows for the global illumination?

RAM or
CPU or
Graphics card

Anonymous
Not applicable
pietervandalen wrote:
Hi there.

You say that Global illumination uses more resources from the opengl.
Does this mean that during calculations it only uses the graphics card.
If so, why should someone buy an i7 core.

once again my question:
What does VBEg use to calculate/render the shadows for the global illumination?

RAM or
CPU or
Graphics card
Yes, it uses graphic card ! (ofc it use Cpu and memory too)

Your graphic card have 128 bit bus and can transfer 16gb/s
my graphic card 9800 gtx have 256 bit bus and can transfare 70gb/s
this is just a little comparation . . .
your computer bottleneck is Graphic Card - change it and it will work !
My card is older too, but i didnt find any model yet that makes me problems...You must change your GC

i have 64 bit Win 7 OS
but even on 32 xp it worked flawlessly /less ram/
Your Cpu is super and it do hes job, trust me !

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for this information.

When will SLI be supported?

Greetings from the Netherlands

Anonymous
Not applicable
SLI works !

i use a dell xps m1330 with an nvidia sli gc

i cant switch between the sli performance and power saver modes when vbeg is running but otherwise , in performance mode the render times are significantly lesser, meaning both the graphic cards are being used !

Start a new conversation!

Labels

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!