Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

View options for walls in plan

rm
Expert

This is a scenario that pops up for us constantly and is a problem Graphisoft should really explain why they don't address this issue.

Model a short or multi-story wall on a "lower story" tall enough to show up in the cut plane height illustrating all the materials in the wall.  Move a story up and assume you need to see that wall in plan, that was placed on the "lower story".  Guess what, often there is NO clean solution to have this happen.

The big question is, why can't we show a wall in plan on any story, irrespective of what story it was placed on, like with roofs and slabs?!?!?  Why does this inconsistent behavior of the most used construction tool/element (walls) exist?  It makes no sense at all.

Graphisoft, you NEED to fix this!!!

Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Eduardo Rolon

Lets tone it down

I do see the point of @SenecaDesignLLC  and @Lingwisyer . This is not a Wall setting but a cut plane setting.

@rm see following screenshots and tell me what I am missing

--Walls in 3D with custom profile and on different stories

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 9.46.10 AM.png

--Walls in floor plan-- Label is set to display story name

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 9.45.59 AM.png

 -- Cut plane settings

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 9.46.24 AM.png

 -----

Walls are set to "All relevant stories" but as @Lingwisyer indicated this is a blunt approach and there might be other items affected by the change in cut plane so your wish for more options is not a bad idea.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
DGSketcher
Legend

100% and should be a priority. The options should be Home/Relevant/Custom for all the 3D tools. Apart from delivering users with a consistent interface, I would have thought it would help GS consolidate their coding to be running the same setting options. Win, Win. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

I show walls through multiple stories all the time? Not sure what I'm missing about your post but maybe a screen shot of what you want and what you are getting?

Short walls I understand but I have never needed them to show the same?

To me things function as you would think based on the view?  Maybe it's just how I use the stories?

Hi SenecaDesignLLC -

In the case I'm referring, we have a foundation plan with full height walls and low height walls.  We want the plan to indicate the materials consistently at the cut plane.  That we can get working just fine at the foundation plan.

Now go up a story, and the low walls that show as cut on our foundation plan, will not project up to the 1st floor.

I have attached a screen shots of a portion of the foundation plan, walls show correctly.  Then a screen shot from the floor above and the short wall (height) of the foundation plan can be seen ONLY if trace reference view is toggled on.

Thirds screen shot shows the trace reference off, and the low wall below no longer can be seen.

You may be getting the results you want, but you may not have a similar graphics/design issue that we have on our project.

Bottom line, it makes no sensenthat slabs and roofs have many more options than walls for projections on construction documents.  We need to be spend less time on "work-arounds" to produce Construction Documents that we can easily and quickly produce the old school way, ie., pencil and paper.

Screen Shot 1.pngScreen Shot 2.pngScreen Shot 3.png

Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26

It has taken many long years to get all of the modeling Elements to Show on All Stories - now I think the Wall is the only one that does not do that. 2021-10-08_13-11-35.jpg

Why is that?  Would that cause some sort of problem in the program?  

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

In those views how many stories down have you specified to show for the cut plane settings

Maybe I have just gotten so used to doing things the way I do them that it's never been something I've even considered an issue

Lingwisyer
Guru

From foundation to ground, just increase your Relative Floor Plan Range and set the walls to All Relevant Stories? It is still very rough and is sometimes too much of a broad hammer...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

It may be a solution, but it is also the polar opposite e.g. you start displaying stuff you don't want to see.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

This is what we should be seeing in all 3D tools. (Taken from the Roof tool.)

Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 09.21.46.png