Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

View options for walls in plan

rm
Expert

This is a scenario that pops up for us constantly and is a problem Graphisoft should really explain why they don't address this issue.

Model a short or multi-story wall on a "lower story" tall enough to show up in the cut plane height illustrating all the materials in the wall.  Move a story up and assume you need to see that wall in plan, that was placed on the "lower story".  Guess what, often there is NO clean solution to have this happen.

The big question is, why can't we show a wall in plan on any story, irrespective of what story it was placed on, like with roofs and slabs?!?!?  Why does this inconsistent behavior of the most used construction tool/element (walls) exist?  It makes no sense at all.

Graphisoft, you NEED to fix this!!!

Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
20 REPLIES 20

You probably do the same thing as I do: model some sort of end detail of the wall with a slab, roof, beam or shell that does have this option (show on all stories etc).

To be fair, with how picky the BIM standards are around here (Netherlands) I pretty much HAVE to model a lot of things seperately that could be part of one big complex profile. Walls also 'cannot' span more than one story in those standards (ouch!).

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

So what is the reason Walls are not able to display on all Stories when everything else can ?  It was certainly an intentional decision.  

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

rm
Expert

Here is another example that illustrates the problem with not being able to show walls on any or all stories desired.  In the attached images, there are two retaining walls built perpendicular to each other in the screen shots.  Some of the walls are modeled on Story 1 (the taller ones), some on a lower level.  They all have stone coping on them.  The stone coping is modeled with a custom profile and applied to walls.  But as you can see in the plan view image, only the stone coping placed on Story 1 can be seen on story 1.  Stone coping placed on lower levels will not display.  This is so frustrating that GS does not give us the ability to view walls from any story to any story.  BTW, changing the cut plane to below the 1 story changes nothing in plan view to help show the coping below, as suggested by someone else here.

PLEASE GS, give us walls we can see on any story from any story, as with floor slabs and roofs.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 3.35.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-12 at 3.35.51 PM.png

Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26

Not the cut plane but the amount of stories below. I have no issues showing walls like you have drawn with the proper settings.

There is no option for walls, to set visibility of how many stories above or below the story they are placed on, as can be with the slab, roof and morph tools. You have mentioned 2x now it can be done, everyone else here is saying it can't be done.  If you can model what I have shown and cause it to properly display on multiple stories as an architect needs it to be indicated, then by all means, feel free to show us how that is done and what settings it takes to do it.

Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26

I am not talking about wall settings.

I am talking about viewable stories inside the cut plane settings.

Match that with the correct view settings for the wall and there you go. 

If you want a solution post a link to your file, I'm not going to waste my time creating a file to prove a point if you respond with such hostility.

Solution
Eduardo Rolon

Lets tone it down

I do see the point of @SenecaDesignLLC  and @Lingwisyer . This is not a Wall setting but a cut plane setting.

@rm see following screenshots and tell me what I am missing

--Walls in 3D with custom profile and on different stories

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 9.46.10 AM.png

--Walls in floor plan-- Label is set to display story name

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 9.45.59 AM.png

 -- Cut plane settings

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 9.46.24 AM.png

 -----

Walls are set to "All relevant stories" but as @Lingwisyer indicated this is a blunt approach and there might be other items affected by the change in cut plane so your wish for more options is not a bad idea.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Thanks for posting screen shots of your settings.  We were doing just as you showed.  Then we were saving the changes to the drawing with the "Redefine with Current Window Settings".  For some reason, the settings were not actually getting saved to the drawing, so every time we went back to the Cut Plan settings, they reverted back to where they would not display the walls a story down.

We deleted the file and went back to an earlier version and applied the same steps.  This time the settings "took" and now we can get the results we were hoping for.  I'm not sure why it was not working on the other file, perhaps it had some level of corruption.

So I stand corrected, what SenecaDesignLLC was describing can work and what you showed in your screen shots can work.  

That all said, I still would be helpful to have a consistent tool set functionality for the wall settings that is available in the roofs, slabs and morphs relative to display options story to story.

Thank you.

Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Eduardo Rolon

Just to be sure (and for other users), remember that cut plane settings are saved by view so when opening a view with different cut plane settings and then moving to a different story items might look weird.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

I might have to try this graph paper looking 2D background usually I'm working in a really really dark gray cuz I hate white but that yellow looks very pleasant on the eyes