BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

Virtual Building Explorer

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any easy way to deal with fact that Virtual Building Explorer files to send to client are executable files (.exe) and get hung up on internal anti-virus, internet anti-virus and scanning, client's anti-virus, etc. Have tried zip files, changing extension to something other than .exe with instructions to rename, etc.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
It may not be possible to get around the email restrictions.

Use FTP or another file transfer service like YouSendIt. Some companies block the file transfer services so FTP or the company's own service may be necessary.
Karl Ottenstein
Agree with Matthew... dropbox.com is another place that is easy to use for file sharing and more...

The VBE files (exe/app/zip) can be pretty huge - many people might not be happy receiving such a large file attached to an email anyway, even if your and their ISP allow attachments that large.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks - found YouSendIt helpful, Rapidshare, and Megaupload as other possible vehicles. Waiting now for the calls from client end to see what happens when they have an .exe appear on their radar.

Is it possible to host an .exe file remotely that can be accessed by client via link that would not initiate standard anti-virus response?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom wrote:
Is it possible to host an .exe file remotely that can be accessed by client via link that would not initiate standard anti-virus response?
I doubt it. It's not the copying of the executable that is potentially dangerous (in the case of malware) it's the running of the program.
JaredBanks
Mentor
For VBE files under 50mb I've just used my personal hotmail account. I can upload the file and then send a link for the client to download it. I'm not crazy about mixing personal and business e-mails, but it works.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
For large files I've just started using We Transfer and so far it seems rock solid and it's got some extremely funky artworks going on as the backgrounds!
http://www.wetransfer.com
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Hmmm... no one's mentioned iDisk... Love it... and coupled with iWeb, I have been setting up BLOGs (private, password protected) where each update of the file sends an automatic RSS notification to the team..
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
vfrontiers wrote:
Hmmm... no one's mentioned iDisk... Love it... and coupled with iWeb, I have been setting up BLOGs (private, password protected) where each update of the file sends an automatic RSS notification to the team..
I've been using iDisk for file transfer but hadn't thought of the project blog. Good idea. Thanks.
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
I use dropbox as well, and find it perfect for just this sort of thing. Up to 10Gb free storage.

It works just like any folder on your PC (not sure how it works on Mac).

Drag the file into the dropbox public folder, right click it to get an internet link, then email the client the link.

Pretty simple really. Plus you then have access to that file from any internet connection.

If you want to try it, here's a shameless link you can use to give us each an extra 250MB of storage
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
Learn and get certified!