Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Visible lights - Caustics

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't get the visible light with a spotlight shining through the portal windows in this sanctuary to show. I think I have all the settings right but can't get it to change the rendering at all. I want to put in stained glass in the windows and show the visible light coming through. Any ideas?
15 REPLIES 15
Barry Kelly
Is this the effect you are after?
In the spotlight I turned on the visible light and set it to volumetric.
Other than that I am still trying to learn myself.

Barry.
visible_light.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks that worked except the colored glass that I put in for the window glass doesn't show up in the rendering.
interior view 1 aug 14, 2014.jpg
Karl Ottenstein
Did you perhaps only change the color of the material in the OpenGL tab of the surface settings, and not in the CineRender surface settings?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Did you perhaps only change the color of the material in the OpenGL tab of the surface settings, and not in the CineRender surface settings?
I applied a jpeg of stained glass to the glass part of the window and then attempted to have the beams of light shine through. I can set a color for the transparency but that doesn't show the jpeg.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll keep fiddling.
Karl Ottenstein
outpostarc wrote:
I applied a jpeg of stained glass to the glass part of the window and then attempted to have the beams of light shine through.
This is a great learning exercise. Glad you brought it up here. Setting the image of the stained glass to be in the transparency channel works for me in preview. I'm still waiting for the final render to generate though...

...and, I have no idea how to align the image to the desired position within the glass...
Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 1.09.46 PM.png
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Took forever for the sample example attached to render. But, the result is kind of cool with the visible light picking up the colors of the jpeg image of a stained glass window.

I'm disappointed that I cannot figure out how to align the transparency channel image (jpeg) with the glass. I had sized the image as 6' x 10' and made the window that size. (Should have made the glazing that size of course... but still, would have expected alignment to be one of the lower corners of the glass - e.g., local surface origin.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's cool. What light source did you use and did you apply the image only on the transparency channel?
Karl Ottenstein
outpostarc wrote:
That's cool. What light source did you use and did you apply the image only on the transparency channel?
Yeah, I thought so too! BTW - I just tried this with Artlantis 5 which has so-called "god beams" for the sun/heliodon ... but while they project the stained glass image onto the floor, the visible light is just white - does not pick up the colors like here with CineRender. And has other issues (although it was fast). So, yeah: cool!

I used the Spot Light 18. It and just a few others allow for visible light.

Yeah, only used the image for transparency as in prior screenshot of surface settings.
Spot Light 18.jpg
Karl Ottenstein
Here's an Artlantis 5 render with the 'god beams'. Vastly inferior to the CineRender sample.. but I was wrong about the visible light color ... the beams do pick up a little of the color from the jpeg. But, this generated in a few seconds vs the couple of hours for the CineRender image...
ACCamera.jpg

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!