Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Visualization & visual language - Conversation & feedback

Illes Papp
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Greetings Everybody,

Visualization and the visual language as a whole is a crucial phenomena when we communicate our ideas to the clients. Should that be vectorial, artistic, non-realistic, photo-realistic, 2D or 3D from classic quick shaded representations to high-end VR or XR, most of us would agree that the way we communicate our ideas is truly essential.

I would like to start a dedicated conversation and hear your feedback on this topic. Please let me know:

• What type of visualization do you do? (Quick Shaded, Rendering, Animations, Real-time visualization, ...)
  • What is your current workflow for visualization? (In-house, Outsourced, Partially Outsourced, ...)
  • What are the main challenges or obstacles in your current workflow?
  • What third party solutions do you incorporate in your workflow if you do any?

Let me know if you have anything else in connection to this topic. Let's start the conversation.

Illés Papp
GRAPHISOFT Senior Product Manager
50 REPLIES 50
Nuge
Advocate

Photo-realistic Inhouse Real-Time Rendering using D5 Render,  its a great workflow and Archicad should concentrate on being a great model creation tool and not try to have some kind of half baked built-in renderer as we have had in the past.

Archicad just cannot handle the polygons required for photo-realistic rendering and the selection of 3D objects (Vegetation etc) available is just a joke and not even an option.

Simply things like a FBX exporter would be a great start,  and update the Archicad API so the developers of the renderers can create good plugins easily.

Here are a couple of examples of renders using D5

VIEW 10.jpg

EXT01.jpg

INT 03.jpg

AC27 i9 11900K / 128G ram / GTX 3090 / D5 Render
  1. What type of visualization do you do? (Quick Shaded, Rendering, Animations, Real-time visualization, ...) Real-Time Visualisation, Fly-throughs, Photo-realistic renders, 360-degree panoramas, VR
  2. What is your current workflow for visualization? (In-house, Outsourced, Partially Outsourced, ...) In house
  3. What are the main challenges or obstacles in your current workflow? Content availability, I need to use the modelport add on due to the lack of content available in a format that can be imported directly into Archicad.
  4. What third party solutions do you incorporate in your workflow if you do any? Enscape 

https://www.skewed.com.au/media/webinars/visualisation-and-vr-made-easy-Archicad-users-through-ensca...

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed
AC6 - AC27 | WIN 11 | i9-10900K, 3.7Ghz | 32GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX

You could start with creating a link from a 3D view to a layout where the image quality is acceptable!

At the moment everyone uses external render programs and of course they are not live. Most of the time for smaller projects a decent quality image from inside AC is sufficient and really fast.

I currently take a screen shot and reimport it - how clunky is that!

Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
gavinNZz
Advocate
  • What type of visualization do you do? (Quick Shaded, Rendering, Animations, Real-time visualization, ...) Still images, 360 pano tours, VR presentations, on-line 3D models
  •  
  • What is your current workflow for visualization? (In-house, Outsourced, Partially Outsourced, ...) In house

• What are the main challenges or obstacles in your current workflow? Archicad elements are not accurate enough. I'm not talking about vegetation/furniture etc but more the elements that make up the building itself. Windows, doors, plumbing fixtures, hardware. With 3rd party software all the vegetation & furnishings are super accurate but you have to place them in a building that looks blocky and not realistic. It gets almost to the point where you have to replace every AC element in a model to get it looking good. That begs the question....why do we use AC in the first place?

• What third party solutions do you incorporate in your workflow if you do any? Enscape (photorealistic renders), Kubity (online 3d model delivery), 3D Vista (360 pano tour creator)

Kubity example - https://player.kubity.com/p/QPqiE0

3D Vista Pano tour example - http://planworkstours.nz/Mather%20Clarke/index.htm

Enscape examples

gavinNZz_0-1666815805575.jpeg

gavinNZz_1-1666815858728.jpeg

gavinNZz_2-1666815886485.jpeg

Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
DGSketcher
Legend

@Illes Papp These days I don't have much demand for photorealistic imagery. Much like @Tim Ball I tend to work with 3D screen grabs. It isn't clear if your remit covers 2D presentation, but the following post raised by @Tibor K raised a few ideas a couple of years ago which never got developed. https://community.Graphisoft.com/t5/Document-Visualize-forum/Shadows-in-architectural-documentation/...

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Dendarii
Booster

I still use the in-built Archicad renderer now and then just for a quick look while designing, but ultimately use external renderers with a live link to Archicad - Mainly D5 Render as it is much faster, but more importantly provides all of the contextual assets (3d grass, trees, furniture, water, skies etc.) required to create a beautiful render/animation.

Architect

Archicad user since 2001
Illes Papp
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

I am happy to see your kind engagement in this discussion, please keep your insights coming.

Illés Papp

@DGSketcher, yes 2D visualization is also definitely part of the discussion.

Illés Papp
bouhmidage
Advisor

when talking about rendering, I'm using Archicad as a modelling tool and 3ds max + corona / D5 / enscape for rendering and never used it's embedded rendering engine for just one reason : rendering needs a software that handles millions of polygons, and that have a huge library and objects to work with

in the last versions, some objects like cushions, pillows, pouf, books and other stuff are presented as rendering improvement, i can say that i never used them , and never will, 

Archicad fails in this area, and all BIM modelling softwares too, 

keep it simple, all we need is and FBX exporter to communicate with other softwares, and why not , a bidirectional connection , i can import placed textures from enscape, or import light positions from inscape to Archicad etc

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects