Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Wall Disappears when rendered

Dave Seabury
Advocate

Haven't seen this one before and I can not figure out what is causing it.

modeling some tile on a shower wall.  The tile itself is a separate wall place

on the framed wall.  The first image is the 3d window, the tile section on the

left is 1/32"off the other wall form, the one on the right is touching the face of the 

other wall and it is gone once rendered.  Any ideas?

Thanks  David3d window3d windowrenderedrendered

AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
7 REPLIES 7
runxel
Legend

The result looks like expected 😄

But in good earnest:

The issue you're confronted with is the typical thing that happens when two planes are at the same spot: The computer calculates the z-depth (the distance) of the polygon to the camera. Rounding errors will lead to the result that some polygons are more closer to the camera than others and vice-versa. Thus you're ending with a botched up picture.

tl;dr: Move one plane out of the other.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Stress Co_
Advisor

Do the wall reference lines overlap?

That is to say, if the tile "wall" reference line were on the outside face, and 

you didn't do the 1/32" offset, does it still happen?

Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Lingwisyer
Guru

Just give them thickness? And If need be SOE them from the wall?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

Thanks for all the suggestions, they all worked on one wall but not on another.  In the end i created a new profile wall with a tile backer and a finish surface for the tile, then SEO'ed that from the frame wall and it seems to work.  Thanks again for the suggestions.

David

AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
Dave Seabury
Advocate

I thought I had this figured out but I don't.  Is it possible for a texture to cause these issues or a rendering setting?  Everything is perfect in the 3d window But i get this when rendered. The lower wall is a complex profile that i duplicated and changed the surface material.  No issues with the lower one.

Thanks Again for any suggestions.

Daviddifferent wall same problemdifferent wall same problem

Dave Seabury
Advocate

It appears to be the texture.  Opened the profile and changed to a different tile texture and it rendered as I would expect.  Now I will see if i can chase that down.

DavidIt's the textureIt's the texture

Dave Seabury
Advocate

Solved.  This Texture had a Displacement Channel and once turned off The wall renders correctly.Displacement turned offDisplacement turned off