Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Wall Label That References Wall Surface

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was wondering if anyone knew where to get or how to customize a Wall Label so that i can have it displaying the Surface of that wall. These would mainly be used in elevation views where i want to document the claddings being used.

Currently i have labels with custom text which i edit and manually input the surface that it is pointing too. I have tried making a few with the some of the preloaded labels but couldn't get the desired outcome.
This image shows my desired label but with manually edited text.
46 REPLIES 46
Erika Epstein
Booster
JAY wrote:
This image shows my desired label but with manually edited text.
Your image didn't upload.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, heres the image of what i was after.
Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 12.08.29 am.png
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This can be done because Labels can be scripted to obtain the Surface assigned to Walls.
There is actually an example of this in a webinar video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV7c24vsOPM

At 32:50 he is opening and Elevation in which Surfaces of walls are displayed in a custom Label they created. At around 33:12 he specifically mentions that the Label is calling the surface of the element.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thats exactly what i want to do. But in that tutorial he shows that it can be done, not how it can be done. I may be abit of a noob here but how do i script the labels to reference said data?
laszlonagy wrote:
This can be done because Labels can be scripted to obtain the Surface assigned to Walls.
There is actually an example of this in a webinar video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV7c24vsOPM

At 32:50 he is opening and Elevation in which Surfaces of walls are displayed in a custom Label they created. At around 33:12 he specifically mentions that the Label is calling the surface of the element.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Unfortunately, I am not that familiar with the inner workings of Labels.
What I know is you will probably have to use the Wall's GDL Global Variables and/or some REQUEST function to obtain the surface value of the Wall.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience on this part of GDL can chime in.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
JAY TUX:

The Requests for the Surfaces are:
Request ("Name_of_material", WALL_MAT_A, Ref_Mat_Name)
Request ("Name_of_material", WALL_MAT_B, Other_Mat_Name)
Request ("Name_of_material", WALL_MAT_Edge, Edge_Mat_Name)

These return the 3 Surfaces of the Wall, which can then be used to script the Surface name as part of the Label. The 3 variables (Ref_Mat_Name, Other_Mat_Name, Edge_Mat_Name) can be any allowed variable name.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Gents,

I will get my GDL guru to give you some advice. A work around in ArchiCAD 18 would be to use IFC Mapping and the Generic Label listing the IFC Parameter. This way you don't need to know any GDL at all. I am in the middle of writing a new post on my blog about IFC Mapping that I plan to load up early next week along with a couple of YouTube videos to demonstrate how you can do it.

Good luck playing with it.

Regards

Nathan
Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed
AC6 - AC27 | WIN 11 | i9-10900K, 3.7Ghz | 32GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
JAY TUX:

The Requests for the Surfaces are:
Request ("Name_of_material", WALL_MAT_A, Ref_Mat_Name)
Request ("Name_of_material", WALL_MAT_B, Other_Mat_Name)
Request ("Name_of_material", WALL_MAT_Edge, Edge_Mat_Name)

These return the 3 Surfaces of the Wall, which can then be used to script the Surface name as part of the Label. The 3 variables (Ref_Mat_Name, Other_Mat_Name, Edge_Mat_Name) can be any allowed variable name.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David

Thanks David. As i have only made the move to Archicad earlier this year I am still a bit of a noob and have no knowledge of gdl script, or ifc mapping. So I'm still at a loss as to how to achieve this. Is this something i should be asking about in the gdl section of the forum???
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nathan wrote:
Gents,

I will get my GDL guru to give you some advice. A work around in ArchiCAD 18 would be to use IFC Mapping and the Generic Label listing the IFC Parameter. This way you don't need to know any GDL at all. I am in the middle of writing a new post on my blog about IFC Mapping that I plan to load up early next week along with a couple of YouTube videos to demonstrate how you can do it.

Good luck playing with it.

Regards

Nathan
That would be great. If you/your guru could keep me posted that would be great. Thanks!