Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Wall buildup type change in associative way instead of independently

cs_ryl
Booster

Hi All,

I've encountered an issue where a composite wall profile that has Brick+Air+Stud+Interior Finish in it. When I change the Type of the Brick to Core, the Air also changes with it, and when I change the Air Type to Other, then Stud follows the change too. 

This is very strange as somehow it's behaving in an associated manner which isn't what I want. See screenshot below: 

cs_ryl_0-1652401529893.png

Anyone has come across with this issue and knows how to resolve it? Cheers!

AC23 AUSTRALIA
MacBook Pro M1 2020 8GB Memory | macOS Monterey 12.3.1
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

They are all dependent on each other, and they have a hierarchy - 'core', 'other' then 'finish'.

When you have multiple skins, you can surround a 'core' with 'other' or 'finish', but you can't have 'other' of 'finish' surrounded by 'cores'.

Everything between 2 'core' skins must be 'cores'.

Everything between 2 'other' skins must be 'core' or 'other' - you can not have a 'finish' on the inside of a wall.

You can have what ever you like between 2 'finishes' so long as the 'cores' are inside the 'others'.

So basically 'finish' can only be on the outside (you can have as many 'finish' skins as you want ('finish' next to 'finish' is fine).

Then 'other' skins can be inside the 'finish' skins and 'core' must be inside them all.

I look at it that the 'core' is the strongest skin, then 'other' and 'finish' is the weakest.

The weaker skins can not go between any stronger skins.

I hope that is clearer than mud.🤣

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Solution
Barry Kelly

They are all dependent on each other, and they have a hierarchy - 'core', 'other' then 'finish'.

When you have multiple skins, you can surround a 'core' with 'other' or 'finish', but you can't have 'other' of 'finish' surrounded by 'cores'.

Everything between 2 'core' skins must be 'cores'.

Everything between 2 'other' skins must be 'core' or 'other' - you can not have a 'finish' on the inside of a wall.

You can have what ever you like between 2 'finishes' so long as the 'cores' are inside the 'others'.

So basically 'finish' can only be on the outside (you can have as many 'finish' skins as you want ('finish' next to 'finish' is fine).

Then 'other' skins can be inside the 'finish' skins and 'core' must be inside them all.

I look at it that the 'core' is the strongest skin, then 'other' and 'finish' is the weakest.

The weaker skins can not go between any stronger skins.

I hope that is clearer than mud.🤣

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Lingwisyer
Guru

As AC sees it, all your cavity wall spaces are Core, which is not very intuitive...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

Very interesting - first time I heard of this (though I'm fairly new to AC)!

I assume that only applies to composite walls then, as in the complex profile it can be setup as intended in my description earlier i.e. weak skin can be inside cores. See below screenshot as an example: 

cs_ryl_0-1652410803924.png

So does it mean that in order to set things up the way I intend them to be, I will have to convert all composite profiles to complex? This doesn't sound very convenient if at all. Is there another work around? 

AC23 AUSTRALIA

I know! not very helpful...

AC23 AUSTRALIA

to follow up further - the idea or drawing I'm trying to create is a slab setout drawing with core only walls showing above at 50% transparent to give a bit more context. In this instance we'd like to show both the external brick walls as well as stud framings, esp. when slab edges are set to the face of stud frames. 

AC23 AUSTRALIA

What is wrong with the cavity being a core?

If it is an empty fill and transparent material, you won't see it anywhere.

All of my cavities are cores and I have never come across any issues.

In fact my cavity (or air space) is one of my strongest building materials, as generally I never want it breached by any other construction.

So I consider it a 'core' element of my wall.

Otherwise I guess you will have to use complex profiles as you discovered.

As they can be any shape (not just flat skins next to each other) you can set any fill as core, other or finish.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Fair enough @Barry Kelly. I suppose I wanted the plan to have that clear distinction of what's being "hatched" in grey can be labelled as "cores", and that cavity in this instance will just be "thin air". A bit like what's working with the complex profile below (slab edge location is to be updated)

cs_ryl_0-1652414545584.png

AC23 AUSTRALIA

I have never had the need to label anything as 'core'.

Nor 'other' or 'finish' come to that.

None of that will affect schedules.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

It will not affect schedule - just graphically I wanted to have that distinction 

AC23 AUSTRALIA