Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Wall roof intersection

Seiss Wagner
Participant
Why is my roof showing the outline of the wall roof intersection. Both wall and roof are of the same generic exterior wall materials, basic wall format with no skins and with the same intersection number? When I did the original model the intersection was clean showing only the roof finish. What setting has changed?
ArchiCad 21 / OS X 10.13.5 /
iMac 3.2GHz i5 - 32GB /AMD Radeon R9 M390 - 2048 MB/
Dual 5K - 27" Displays
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
Either use a building material in the roof that is stronger than the building material in the wall or do a Solid Element Operation instead of connect/trim to roof.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Solution
Barry Kelly
Either use a building material in the roof that is stronger than the building material in the wall or do a Solid Element Operation instead of connect/trim to roof.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I had the same problem the other day. Tried all the suggestions but none worked. What did work was to convert the roofs to morphs and then use solid element operations.
Kris
Seiss Wagner
Participant
Barry wrote:

Barry.
Thanks for the info. I tried Junction Order in Wall Settings with no luck, but Intersection Priority In Building Materials did the trick. I would never have never have found it without your instruction. Thanks again.
ArchiCad 21 / OS X 10.13.5 /
iMac 3.2GHz i5 - 32GB /AMD Radeon R9 M390 - 2048 MB/
Dual 5K - 27" Displays
Barry Kelly
KrisM wrote:
I had the same problem the other day. Tried all the suggestions but none worked. What did work was to convert the roofs to morphs and then use solid element operations.
Kris
If the SEO worked on a morph it would have worked on a roof as well regardless of building material strength.

The 'Connect > Trim to roof/shell' works too, so long as the strengths of your building materials are correct.
Strongest will cut the weakest.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry,
Yes, you are correct. I think I got mixed up on which material I was making stronger. One was called "Generic Building material" and the other "Generic Exterior Material". Glad to see it works as intended.
Kris
Emil Meijer
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
That explains a whole lot! Always wondered why some materials showed up while others didn't.
Thank you for the explanation, Barry! Your image attachments are always so easy to comprehend.

Thanks for the help,

I had the same problem so I copied the material of the wall, made it a little bit stronger and used it for the roof. In 3D working great, but now in section I don't visualiza anymore the wall and the roof like the same material (ovviusly).

I can I solve that?

Thanks!

Cattura.PNG