BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Wall section hatch / slab display problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask two questions:
First, it regards the hatches interception of the walls in the attached image. I believe there is no way of improving how they merge but still I would like to have your feedback. I have checked the material hatch orientation option but...

Secondly, the slab has an angle on the break point but in elevation or 3D, there is no break line, which we would love to have.

Any ideas?

Thank you all in advance
12 REPLIES 12
Barry Kelly
Firstly, your Building Materials have the file set to 'Element Origin' so they follow the rotation of your elements.
So each wall no matter the angle will look the same.
Because of the way walls connect in plan (and 3D) where one wall will cut the other, this is what you will see.

Setting the BM fills to 'Project Origin' will solve the miter issue, but the fills will no longer rotate with the wall, so on certain angle may look strange.

The only way to avoid this completely is to use coloured solid or % hatches.

Secondly, the angle of difference is just too shallow in the slab.
Archicad seems to think the surfaces are in line and therefore will show no join.
I would say this is a bug but it may not be fixable due to the fact that curved surfaces in Archicad are actually a series of straight segments. These straight segments have no joining line, giving the appearance of a curved surface.
Maybe the same is happening here, the angle is below a certain threshold so is being treated as a curved surface (even though it is not).

Even changing the edge surface materials so they are different will not force a line (which I think it should).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Barry.
I agree with all your observations.

And yes we don't want to set hatches to projet origin... Maybe will do a patch over it...

Again thank you very much.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
On the first, I would solve this Wall intersection using a Complex Profiled Column, because it will cut itself from the Wall and their connection will be seamless.
For the Fills I would use a Building Material, which has a Symbol Fill set for its Cut Fill, with the "Fit to Skin" option. That way the orientation of the Fill will follow the direction of the Complex Profile Column skins that represent the Wall Skins.

On the second, i agree with Barry's assessment, I will report this as a bug to GRAPHISOFT.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you very much for raising the issue, and thank you Barry and Laci for answering the first question!

Since Barry and Laszlo have already addressed the first issue, let me share some information about the second issue here. This is a design decision, unfortunately! When the complementary angle of the sides of the slabs is larger than 11.48°, the line is visible. But when it is smaller, the line is invisible.

You can split the slab exactly at that point in order to have the contour visible in 3D. In 2D floor plan, the division line can be hidden by setting the 2D Representation of Connected Slabs on Floor Plan.

I hope this will help you with the issue. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all for the great suggestions! They will be shared with the team.
I think for the moment we will keep the slab as one, the pros outway the cons of dealing with several slabs more.
The complex profile I imagine we will definitely do when we move on to a new scale. At this point we are between general cost estimates and just scratching execution, mostly working at 1:200. But it will come.

Again, very pleased with your imputs. Thank you.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
mnguyen wrote:
When the complementary angle of the sides of the slabs is larger than 11.78°, the line is visible.

Minh,

Did you want to type 178 degrees? This 11.78 degree sounds like an arbitrary number to me (I might be wrong).
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
LaszloNagy wrote:
Minh,

Did you want to type 178 degrees? This 11.78 degree sounds like an arbitrary number to me (I might be wrong).
Oops, sorry, my bad! I’m not sure whether it should be supplementary or complementary angle? I didn’t study Geometry in English, but the “b” angle here is what I mean.

11.78 is the wrong number. I got it from the developer without double checking. I tested again and can confirm that if the “b” angle is less than 11.48 degree the contour will disappear (and to be honest, I’m not sure why they set it that way )

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Thanks Minh,

If you could ask the developer, I would be interested to know why this number. I guess there is a reason. For me the 178 degrees made sense because it is only 2 degrees from 180, which would mean the two sides are in the same plane, so if the angle is less than 2 degrees from that, it would make sense that the line is not displayed.
But this 11.48 degrees? There must be some mathematical reason for it.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
LaszloNagy wrote:
Thanks Minh,

If you could ask the developer, I would be interested to know why this number. I guess there is a reason. For me the 178 degrees made sense because it is only 2 degrees from 180, which would mean the two sides are in the same plane, so if the angle is less than 2 degrees from that, it would make sense that the line is not displayed.
But this 11.48 degrees? There must be some mathematical reason for it.
Sure, I will ask them to give me an explanation! 11.48 degrees is surely a strange number!

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!