Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Walls and objects merging in section

kajnorberg
Booster
Hi!

I've been struggling with sections for a while now and thought I'd ask how to solve instead of manually working around it every time. It feels like there should be a simple way of solving it, I just can't figure it out.

My problem is that walls and slabs keep merging with objects in sections. It's great that walls, slabs and roofs merge, but I would like to be able to decide what should merge and what shouldn't. I've tried different layers with different intersection numbers, doing it with graphic overrides, but I just can't get it to work. I should add that I want it to work with transparent fills.

Thank you
Kaj

Archicad 24-26 SWE
Dell Precision 5560
Windows 11 Pro
11 REPLIES 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Make sure that the objects use different Cut Fills than the Slabs/Walls.
In Section, if they have the same Cut Fill and their geometries touch, their Cut Fills will be merged.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
kajnorberg
Booster
Hi Laszlo!

Thanks for replying. I tried changing cut fills, but I still struggle with them merging, despite them being different colours. I feel a bit stupid but I just can't figure it out.

Thank you!
Kaj
Archicad 24-26 SWE
Dell Precision 5560
Windows 11 Pro
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think you have the "Uniform Surface" option selected in the "Fill Cut Surfaces With" field in the Section Settings Dialog.

kajnorberg
Booster
Hi!

Thanks for your quick response!

Unfortunately, that's not it either.

I attached a few screen prints. In the graphic overrides I tried to exclude objects (in this case the bed) from overriding, but it seems like that didn't do the trick.

Thank you
/Kaj
Archicad 24-26 SWE
Dell Precision 5560
Windows 11 Pro
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The Fills of two adjacent elements merge in Section if they use the same Fill Type.
So I suppose that your Wall's Building Material and the Object has the same Cut Fill Type specified.
You can try to duplicate the Fill Type in the Fill Types Dialog, and assign the new Fill Type to the Object. So you will have two Fill Types with the exact same fill definition and settings. The only difference between them will be their name and their index number (Archicad identifies them internally by their index number).
Graphically, they will look exactly the same, but since they are two different Fill Types, they will not merge in Section.
kajnorberg
Booster
Hi!

I've tried using different cut fills, both in the materials and in the cut fill overrides within the object. I've also tried assigning them different cut fills in graphic overrides, resulting in the image attached.

It kind of seems like the issue is similar to the one in this thread: https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=70026

However, I'm not using any SEO, and changing line thickness did not resolve the issue.
Archicad 24-26 SWE
Dell Precision 5560
Windows 11 Pro
kajnorberg
Booster
Hi!

I'm bringing this back, since I still haven't found a solution. I'm assuming there is some setting for this, but I feel I've tried everything, and it just doesn't work. Thankful for any help!

I tried changing pretty much everything in both the object's settings and in Graphic Overrides (with one rule for objects and one for non-objects) to ensure the fill is different, but still they merge.

/Kaj
Archicad 24-26 SWE
Dell Precision 5560
Windows 11 Pro
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
If using the same Fill (normally Building Materials, but for Objects then it'll be the Fill), then they will merge based on intersection rules.

So you'll need to make sure they are using 2 different fills, so they don't merge.

Scroll down to the near the bottom of this page:
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/134891/
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
kajnorberg
Booster
James wrote:
If using the same Fill (normally Building Materials, but for Objects then it'll be the Fill), then they will merge based on intersection rules.

So you'll need to make sure they are using 2 different fills, so they don't merge.

Scroll down to the near the bottom of this page:
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/134891/
Thanks for your answer!

I can get it to work when not using Graphic Overrides, but as soon as I do (which I want to since my walls are composites) they melt together. I've tried both having different cut fills in the Object settings and by setting it in Graphic Overrides, but they still merge? It feels like there's something basic that I'm just not getting.
Archicad 24-26 SWE
Dell Precision 5560
Windows 11 Pro