BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Walls not intersecting properly

BradJAllen19
Booster
Does anyone know how to make these walls interact properly? I have two exterior walls which are both complex profiles. One is a typical 2x6 wall with some finish layers on it and the other has an added 2x6 layer which provides some aesthetic relief on the exterior without the need to jog the foundation of the house. The outer layer of the double layer wall should extend so the finishes and sheathing return around the corner but the normal wall is extending itself all the way out. My reference lines are intersected and I've played around with intersection priorities and changing which elements are core and finish but nothing seems to be working.

Short of creating new materials with higher priorities just for the bump out wall or using 2d fills in plan I'm not sure what to do.

The first image shows what is currently happing and in the second I used drafting fills to illustrate what I would like to see. I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this issue.
Brad Allen
Designer
Ironwood Manufactured Homes Inc.
Archicad 26
Windows 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
BradJAllen19
Booster
Using new material types worked. I guess I was wondering if there was a different way of doing it that didn't require a bunch of duplicated materials with different strengths.

Thank you for your help.
Brad Allen
Designer
Archicad 26
Windows 10

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
insideru
Advocate
It's really hard to help you without the actual profiles. Take the two walls and paste them into a new AC file and attach it here. (Or export the profiles along with the building materials used with the attribute manager)
ARCHICAD 27 INT
macOS Sonoma
Barry Kelly
BradJAllen19 wrote:
Short of creating new materials with higher priorities just for the bump out wall or using 2d fills in plan I'm not sure what to do.

That is the basic idea
Building Materials with the same strength will merge.
Stronger ones will cut weaker ones.

So you ideally want the outer layers to be stronger.

However sometimes you will need the same material on the inside and the outside.
In that case, duplicate the outside material and make the inside one weaker.

I include the strength in the material name (rather than 'inside' or 'outside').
In my example you can see the strength in brackets.
The 2 numbers in my example here are the old pre-version 16 strength and then the current strength.
You only need the current strength - I need to edit the old ones out now - just lazy!).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Solution
BradJAllen19
Booster
Using new material types worked. I guess I was wondering if there was a different way of doing it that didn't require a bunch of duplicated materials with different strengths.

Thank you for your help.
Brad Allen
Designer
Archicad 26
Windows 10
Learn and get certified!