Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Water surface texture settings

fuzzytnth3
Booster
Any idea what setting to adjust to make the "Black" waves on my water go away?

MiesWater.tif

AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
8 REPLIES 8
Lingwisyer
Guru
Probably something to do with your waters refraction setting under the transparency settings... Try reducing it?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
You also need something for the waves to reflect, at present they are reflecting space.
Try adding a high curved wall with a picture /texture applied behind the camera.

Regards
Scott
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
As Scott pointed out, it looks like your reflections are currently not reflecting anything from above.

Instead of the bleak blue sky, maybe opt for one of the preset physical sky settings. I'm partial to Friendly Afternoon. Make sure to tick 'Use ARCHICAD Sun Position' to keep your own sun direction etc settings.

In detailed settings go to 'Environment > Physical Sky > Compositing' and make sure Sky Reflection is ticked.

Also check at the bottom for 'Options > General Options', make sure Reflection is ticked and set Ray Treshold to 0 so all reflections are calculated.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
fuzzytnth3
Booster
So after a bit of fiddling about I discovered that increasing the "Reflection Depth" from 4 to 12 in the Options bit of the Detailed Settings made the Black bits go away.

As for the Sky and Context I will be using some images from actual photos of the real thing however I will stick with the "Bleak Blue Sky" as whenever I've been in Barcelona to see the Pavilion that is what the sky looked like

There are other things to fix mostly the surface texture for the Pebbles in the Pond and the settings reflectance and bump map settings for the Travertine, fun fun fun

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZnFWA7ZYuLTPtHSuKpYnGv3ULjvzQbtOrXk
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If you want to replace the background, you can tick 'generate alpha mask for environment' in the Options > General Options.

Make sure you save the image as PNG with 'High Accuracy Color with Alpha Channel'.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
fuzzytnth3
Booster
I did know that already but thank you for sharing :thumbsup:
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Karl Ottenstein
If you download the free Twin Motion renderer and the ARCHICAD export/sync add-on - you can have real-time preview of extremely realistic (and animated) water, making it faster to generate the scene as you would like to see it.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Thanks for that Karl.

I tried to do that but I need to upgrade to Mojave to get TwinMotion to run on my Mac.

We have a license for TwinMotion but it's constantly in use on a large Masterplan for Edinburgh Waverley Train Station
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL