Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Weird sorting in schedules when using expression properties!?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor

Stressed as I am already. We used to use Element ID directly in the schedules and use it as the first sorting parameter. Worked like charm since twenty years. Now we started to use an expression property (reading the Element ID) and using that on instead for the schedule but it is not sorting. I didn't even check before swapping to expressions and it was kind of embarrasing moment gettin notice from colleagues about this. I should learn to nere assume things but any way it's not behaving like I think it should so I reach out...and maybe you'll be there...with an answer. 😉

schedules strange sorting.jpg

AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
8 REPLIES 8
felcunha
Expert

Is your AC up-to-date? I've tried in AC24-6004 and AC25-4013 and couldn't reproduce it.

And, why did you change for an expression?

Felipe Ribeiro Cunha

AC 26, macOS Monterey

yep up-to-date

I want to use only expressions for the door/windows schedules because I don't want to mix properties and parameters...it's quicker to work if there is one single sorurce of information feeding a schedule.

Example on youtube 

AC 25 SWE Full

Jp1138
Expert

It seems it doesnt understand 9 is before 10, because it´s sorting as a string. If you rename it to D09, for example, does it sort correctly?

ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10

yes it is a sting problem...somewhat unwanted 😞

AC 25 SWE Full

DGSketcher
Legend

For double or even potentially triple numeric IDs I always prefix with zero to avoid these sorting problems e.g. D09, D10 or D009, D099, D100. It's a common problem in indexing that is easy to overlook when you end up with more IDs than expected.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Thing is we don't do running element IDs. The ID is type+material+modular width. Thus a 900 mm wide woode door would be labelled DW9. However we have a national project in the works that states that an ID shall not contain any intelligence ...only running number so we might end up there anyways in the near future.

AC 25 SWE Full

DGSketcher
Legend

The logic still applies, what happens with a 1000 mm wide door, you would then apply DW09, DW10.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Yes DW10..  It's the zero before the width we cant stand haha.... DW09 is definitely wooden door number nine while DW9 is a 900mm wooden door 🙂

The standards are old but that's not always a bad thing.

AC 25 SWE Full