Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

West Meets East

It's been a long looong time since I've posted anything from recent projects and I thought I'd post a few images from this current project which is still a Work-in-Progress. But I had produced some test renders of a couple of views to show material options as well highlight some design issues, and I felt they might be good enough to show off some of ArchiCAD 21's really great new features (particularly the Rail tool).

Yes, I do realize (re: the subject heading) that technically speaking Hungary is in Eastern Europe.
But relative to China it's still "West" and this project is a Buddhist Chinese temple being designed in ArchiCAD (and other software) to be located in upstate New York but designed in the style of Imperial era Ancient Chinese religious style (incorporating both Buddhist and Taoist precepts)
It was and is a really fun project to work on as I learn quite a bit about ancient Chinese architecture and design style to correctly incorporate the correct vernacular and drawing from inspirational sources as far flung as the Forbidden City.
Anyway, enough talk here are the images.
Modeled in ArchiCAD and rendered with Corona Renderer through 3DS Max

....more images to follow
14 REPLIES 14
.....continued......

.....and here are some screencaps from the ArchiCAD source model and workspace.....

....last screencap...

As I mentioned the project is a great showcase for ArchiCAD's rail tool which was particularly helpful with the complicated Roof tile cladding as well as the stone railing, (although I paid a heavy price in the performance of ArchiCAD due to the heavy Morph use. GS please improve ArchiCAD's handling of morphs),
along with that it's also a great showcase for Corona renderer which plays great with ArchiCAD and which you may or may not be pleased to hear is now having an ArchiCAD plugin and bridge developed for it by the developers, to allow ArchiCAD users to use it directly from ArchiCAD and not have to rely on 3ds Max or Cinema4D - complete with the interactive Real-time renderer direct from ArchiCAD's 3D window.

I can't wait for it.....

Critiques and comments welcome.
As mentioned the images are W.I.P. and the project is likely to undergo some changes in the coming weeks.
But I hope to post some more final images when it's done.
Thanks for visiting.
Barry Kelly
Bricklyne wrote:
As I mentioned the project is a great showcase for ArchiCAD's rail tool which was particularly helpful with the complicated Roof tile cladding as well as the stone railing, (although I paid a heavy price in the performance of ArchiCAD due to the heavy Morph use. GS please improve ArchiCAD's handling of morphs),

Archicad 21 is so yesterday!

It looks like your wish may have been granted in 22 already - although I am yet to test it.
From the 'New Features Guide' in the reference manual ...

Improved Performance of Morph Elements
In ARCHICAD 22, we significantly increased the performance of the large number of complex Morph
elements. This was achieved by reducing the memory footprint of them, which will require a
magnitude less memory compared to version 21.

Awesome work by the way.
I am sure it would be fun to tackle something like this.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Carstenem
Expert
Quite an amazing 3D model , love it great work !

If you don't mind you should improve some textures in the render as they "stick out" straight away as none realistic. You can see the tiling on larger surfaces, just use better textures which don't show so repetitive. This usually means you need larger textures like 4K so they don't repeat so often. ( even if they are seamless, smaller textures show almost always a repetitive pattern )
Plus some surfaces could use a bit of a dirt map, like the roof ( composite material in Corona - 1. color/texture 2. then on top dirt texture usually black and white at around 20 to 33 % layer option on multiply )

Cheers Carsten
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Great work, I like this model a lot!
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Cool and unusual project!
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Thanks everyone, for all the comments and feedback.

@Barry Kelly

I did try ArchiCAD 22 for a bit but it was on a different project that didn't involve a lot of morph use, and unfortunately I ran into a pretty severe bug (the 3D screen orbit freeze) that other people encountered as well, which forced me back to version 21.
As I understand the latest hot fix is supposed to have fixed that issue, but I haven't been able to get a chance to test it again.
I broke with my usual habit of not getting into the latest version until around December when they're already about 3 or 4 hotfixes in and all the really serious issues have been ironed out, and I suppose in retrospect that was probably the wrong decision.

From my memoery it seemed to handle more geometry a bit more smoother and faster than 21, but since I never tested it with a (really) morph-heavy project, I couldn't tell you how it would handle a project like this. MY suspicion is that the bottleneck still exists - meaning that it handles them fine up until you hit a certain limit or number and the ArchiCAD gets brought down to its knees and becomes a pain to use.

@Carstenem

Thanks a lot for the great critiques and points and I agree with you on all counts.
As I mentioned this series of images were largely still a Work-in-Progress snapshot intended to give the client an idea of what the mass and some of the material colors would look like and they would give back feedback for some updates and revisions.

The project has changed quite a bit since this post and I will be posting more updated or final images down the road when I'm able to.

I most certainly agree about some of the textures and as you can tell a good number of them are straight out of ArchiCAD's own material library with the limited tools for mapping and tiling that ArchiCAD has (and I didn't spend that much time tweaking them in 3ds Max with the exported model, as I normally would with other renders).
I'm currently trying to build up by material library with higher quality and higher resolution seamless textures to use in situations like this along with HDRI maps as well. Using a high quality (photo-)'Realistic' renderer like Corona always runs the risk of exposing just how 'unrealistic' your model is by way of exposing some of the CGI-ness and computer-iness things like the texture are when rendered in real light.

I'm certainly looking forward to the ArchiCAD-Corona bridge they're are currently working on and hope it will allow for a more fluid workflow between ArchiCAD and what I imagine will be a stand-alone engine that connects to ArchiCAD in a similar manner to how the Maxwell renderer currently works.

@LaszloNagy and @Mats_Knutsson

Thank you both so much for your comments.
Eduardo Rolon
Impressive.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator