Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

What labels can be used for the building materials of the object?

Eric Xue
Contributor

I can't label the building materials of the object. I also try to write a custom label in GDL, but it seems that I can't get the information of the building materials of the object.😂

6 REPLIES 6
runxel
Legend

As long as the BMAT is stored inside a parameter (which it absolutely should), you'd then be able to request that parameter for display inside of your label.

However you would need to know the parameter name in advance!...

Luckily enough you can script a very generous label – which I did for myself – which can display just about anything. The name of the param to be requested can be a string parameter in itself 😉

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

Thanks so much. This would be a great idea. Can't wait to try this.👍

I'm trying to make a label, hoping to lable the building materials of any library object. Curtain walls, stairs or railings. If there are multiple building materials, I want to select and display them in a list.

Dendarii
Booster

Is it possible to code a tag that will provide the surface (or building material) for whatever the mouse cursor is placed over in plan/elevation/section?    

Revit has a single material tag, that just picks up any surface that the mouse hovers over, of any 3d element, it is so easy to document and allows full BIM functionality.  In Archicad I have tens of different tags (even for the same elements, ie. top of slab, bottom of slab) and it is a complete mess, including not being able to tag most surfaces in the first place (especially library parts, SEO's, morphs etc).  

Architect

Archicad user since 2001

No. At the moment the label is completely agnostic to the cursor. It just works on element (and sub-element) basis. It is then the task of the label – or the programmer better to say – to determine, which kinds of surfaces there are and which one is to be used for the label.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |

Thanks!  Would Graphisoft have the ability to create this? 

I assume the info is there, we have the surface painter tool which can pick up surfaces/faces very well by hovering the cursor over the face of the element, even for library parts.  If they could combine this info with Surfaces to create a singular Label tool to tag Surfaces that would be amazing.

Architect

Archicad user since 2001

They probably could, yeah.

You should make a wish.