BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

What's the best way to generate trees

Anonymous
Not applicable
What is the best way to generate trees and foliage in Archicad? I am using Photoshop at the moment to place trees and foliage as I am not happy with the results I am getting from Archicad.
The quallity, even on high settings (high dpi and high object default settings) is not very realistic compared to everything else that Lightworks renders, also the generating times increase dramatically.
I am using the default trees in Archicad and a downloaded library from the Archicad forum.
My computer specs are
2.6 Ghz processor
1gb ram
320 Gig HD
I am happy enough with the rendering times (with out trees) as it takes about 10mins for a 2000 x 750 (pixels) render at 250dpi
14 REPLIES 14
Dwight
Newcomer
I prefer the Onyx Tree Pro trees that make botanically accurate foliage. They have lots of polygons, but Onyx has a way to reduce them when you export using 3Ds to Archicad.

There was a library "Hoshino" commercially available with architected trees of reasonable polygons, but other than generically saying "tree" they had no character.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight- Is this the site I should get the trees from. -- duh! Here: http://www.onyxtree.com/conifer.html --Doesn't seem like I see anythign sayin it is ArchiCAD compatible.

These are great trees if this is where I get them from.
The only pine/conifer trees I have found before this look like Xmas trees.

And I gotta say , here in the ADKs we have planty of conifer trees, but, maybe only 1/1000th of them look like a Christmas Tree.

Edit again- I say duh cuse I never copied the link in. edit.
Dwight
Newcomer
"Duh" is right. A Google on "Onyx Tree Pro" returns:

http://www.onyxtree.com/

Onyx Tree Pro is an application that generates unique, botanically correct trees. You make your own tree based in on of their many prototypes. These trees have lots of polygons.

When exporting the tree model to 3Ds, the user can constrain model complexity by simplifying the model and flattening leaves.

Since most 3Ds applications use a different XYZ system than Archicad, the tree model may arrive in Archicad laying down. Fix this in the 3Ds import dialog and import again.

In my seminar, [Washington DC, Oct22 - Philadelphia, Oct23 - New York Oct25 - Boston, Oct26] I suggest importing foliage as a separate object from the trunk and branches so that they can be rotated against one another to give more complex iterations [2 objects = infinite variation].
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
ADK = Adirondack Developer Kit
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the advice Dwight. Great looking trees and (I think) reasonably priced too.
Any idea where I can get Australian trees?
Dwight
Newcomer
They have some eucalypts that could be adapted into coolabah trees for a billabong scene, say.

You'll have to use GDL for your swagman, however.
Dwight Atkinson
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast
Try free Garden Works library:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/object_depository.php?browse=Depository/02%20Sitework/Garden
MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have down loaded the 'Garden Equipment' file but have had problems with placing things in Archicad.
Some of the objects come up on 'cards' and some create an error message. I don't have many other specific details because I havn't used these objects much because of the faults.
I assume I must be doing something wrong and would appreciate any advice.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm guessing the ones coming up on "cards" are bitmap trees, whereby you select an image of a tree that renders (with transparency). These can be good for trees in the distance, but be careful of close-up views, and if they cast shadows they can slow render times down a bit. They also turn to face the camera as long as the 3D view is rebuilt after changing view.
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!