BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

What's the intended way to use the renovation filter in Docs

jegomez
Newcomer
Hello everyone. I am moving from DD to CD's on a renovation project.

I have a complete AC15 model with all of the elements in their proper renovation filter designation, i.e., existing, demolition, and planned status filters.

So far, I am getting decent plans using the standard renovation filter options for Existing Plan, Demolition Plan, After Demolition, New Construction and Planned Status.

For CD layouts, I will primarily be using the Existing, Demolition, and Planned Status filter options. BUt I know things are going to get a bit more involved as I begin my CD's.

From this point I want to move forward creating my construction documents by using the renovation filter as GS developers intended and not doing any unorthodox stuff.

I'm a long time AC user (since AC 8.1) and I know that there is "more than one way to skin a cat" in ArchiCAD depending on how you want the final outcome to look. I have been reading this forum on how people use the renovation filter in documentation but most posts are for specific issues.

As I type this I realize that I don’t have a specific question but I would love to see examples of how everyone is using this new filter in their Construction documents. Im watching GS’s videos for the renovation tool and reading up on how its supposed to be used.

Any recommendations or comments are welcome.

Thanks!
ArchiCAD 15 3267 USA FULL
Windows 7 Professional - 64-bit Operating System
Intel Xeon W3550, 8gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 600
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
jegomez,

I am where you were in October, with the same interest in renovation filters from DD to CDs. Have you answered your own question yet, and can you explain how you've used the renovation tool?

-JS
Bill
Contributor
The way we have been using them so far is to have all elements with a new status. Then, any of the renovation styles which need to show new elements are set to show them as is - no filter applied. This way, we have the most control over line types, weights, colors on the screen, etc. for the most important elements on the drawings - the new stuff.

Existing elements then have a filter applied - the pen color is overridden so that they all show up grayed out, but their line types are not so that dashed, dotted lines etc are still displayed.

Demo items also have a filter applied, so that the line types are overridden to be dash-dotted, and the pens overridden too, to be a single heavier line.

As I've used them, I realize I really only use three filters for CDs...
Existing Demolished New
DEMO Override Override Hide
NEW Override Hide Show
DEMO+NEW Override Override Show

I have some other filter combinations set up, but they are more just working combinations for use during the design/drafting process. I almost never need to show an existing only plan - for CDs the demo plan shows the existing conditions.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill Szustak RA

Principal, Springboard Design

ArchiCAD 25, macOS Ventura 13.4.1
jegomez
Newcomer
Jay Shumaker,

After using the renovation filter on a few projects I must say that I don't know how I did without it. It is a great tool that requires some time and trial and error to master. It also adds another level of complexity to a BIM model and you have to be aware of how filter settings affect all of your drawings views

My latest difficulty with the renovation filter has to do with new/demo doors and windows. In the selections settings under Tags and Categories there is a "Show on Renovation Filter" setting. These settings are necessary to illustrate things correctly in floor plan but I wish that it didn't apply in 3D. Or at least if there was the option to override these settings in 3D.

What happens is when I am coordinating between new, existing, and demo, I like to be able to see all of these elements interact at once in 3D.

After I organize each filter so they shows upon the correct drawings when I go to 3D and select "show all" then I don't see any doors or windows b/c they are not set up to show under that filter.

I may be picky but this is annoying because the only remedy is to set all element to "show on all relevant filters" so i can see them in 3D regardless of what renovation view I'm in.
ArchiCAD 15 3267 USA FULL
Windows 7 Professional - 64-bit Operating System
Intel Xeon W3550, 8gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 600
Learn and get certified!