Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

When placing a drawing in layout

Hi!

I can't seem to find the answer to this one issue I have with the workflow of placing drawings into layouts.

In Archicad 22 when placing a drawing onto the layout, the view would automatically have all settings as in my plan/section drawing ( same layer combination, same pen sets, same renovation filter, etc...). The system was perfect for me and everything was easy.

In Archicad 23 when placing a drawing onto the layout the view has to manually be adjusted to fit what I could see in the plan/section view... 

Is there a way to make placing the views into layouts work like in Archicad 22? Make them automatically use the settings last used on said drawing before placement?

It seems like such overkill to make the user set everything twice...

6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly

How are you placing the drawing?

Drag and drop section from Project Map to layout?

Drag and drop section view from View Map to layout?

Using Drawing tool, clicking on layout and then selecting the view you want?

Some other way?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hello Barry!

I always use Drag and drop section from Project Map to layout.

Well there is your problem!

The Project Map view points do not contain any settings for layers, graphic overrides, scale, etc.

They are simply what you currently have set.

You should really create a View in the View Map - these views contain all the settings you need.

You can even go into the settings of the view and alter them if you want.

When you drag from the Project Map you will find it actually creates a view in the View Map for you - should be based on the settings you currently have on screen.

I think you are better to create these views yourself and set it up as you want.

You can even create folders in the View Map to organise these views and also you can 'Clone' the Project Map folders so you don't even have to create the views - as you add a section, a section view will be created in the View Map in the section folder you cloned.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

I was hoping for a solution that could take me to the previous workflow. It required no other extra clicks and it was very intuitive: this is what I see in my workspace then I take the drawings to the layouts, why on earth would I want to see something else in the layouts using this order of operations is beyond me... 

Now I have a better understanding of the issue. I will try to change my workflow or maybe just return to Archicad 22.

Thank you for the very fast reply!

I have done some experimenting and there does seem to be a difference between 22 & 23.

Neither works perfectly when you drag a Project Map view point onto a layout.

In 22 when I drag my ground floor to a layout 2 of the settings do not get set properly in the created view.

BarryKelly_0-1643723499877.png

In 23 there are 4 settings that do not get set properly.

BarryKelly_1-1643723546381.png

I have never noticed because as I said before, I always set up the views I want and then drag those views from the View Map onto the layouts.

That way I know I have what I want even before I place anything on a layout.

It is a simple fix - just adjust the settings for the view.

But as you have said, you will have to do it for every view you create that way.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Using Views is helping me a lot, it just takes some time to adjust the way I used to work, but now I am learning to work in Archicad properly. 

Thank you Barry!