BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Where is .2DL for external drawing input

Mishi
Participant
Hi,

Does anyone know where GS put the PMK export option for vectorial shadow study? Why did they take it out?
We make very often extensive shadow study, and we have to produce these drawings as vector drawings for reports in scale.
We had a really good procedure in AC9 where we saved out the shadows as PMK and linked each hour to the layouts in Plotmaker. So if there was a change we just had to regenerate the shadows and update the drawings with the base. It was a snap and timless basically with highquality diagrams.

Now we noticed in AC11 there is no way to save PMK just 2DL. Which wouldn't be a problem at all, unless this file type could be linked as an external drawing to the layout book in AC11. What the hack???

Any workaround which is not timeconsuming.

This is not fair again. 2DL drawings should be also listed in the filetypes for external link for the layout(book).

M.
Mishi Szabo
Urban Strategies Inc.

---------
Dual QuadCore Xeon Intel Mac 8GB Memory
2 REPLIES 2
TomWaltz
Participant
PMKs last existing in Archicad 9. Graphisoft completely removed it in AC10.

We've been either:
1) copy/pasting the linework from the 3D window into a detail window and placing that on a layout
2) making a 3D view in the View Map and placing it on a layout
Tom Waltz
Mishi
Participant
HI Tom,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think i should change the title, which i've done.

Unfortunately none of the above could work.
The first option copy / paste is a waste of human time and creates tremendous amount of layers for the months and hours multiplied by 2 or more (depending on; how many options you have for the proposed site), not even talking about mistakes. Don't forget we also have to color it nicely, a finished document/booklet to the city. etc etc.
At first the way we do it, sounds too much hassle, but when there is a change and we all do know there will be, than my method beats the copy and paste method. Plus you don't get confused, clean and organized.

I do believe computers meant to make our life easier. Copy and paste is = tree chopping.

The second option. Well sounds good but I don't wanna see the buildings, just shadow. But if there is no building in the 3D window, there is no shadow. And where are the property lines, street names, curbs? Yes i could combine them in the layout and put it top of each other, but how can i not show the 3D buildings ugly shaded top-view? I will take a look at it today maybe i could work this around.

BUTTT. Sum it all.
If you think it over, don't you think if they take away something, it should be compensate?
The point is, which I mentioned earlier, the 2DL in the layoutbook, should be an option to be linked as an external document regardless what i wanna use it for. The funny thing is; PMK (which we don't need anymore) is there but 2DL is not.

I guess you see my point now.

Mishi
Mishi Szabo
Urban Strategies Inc.

---------
Dual QuadCore Xeon Intel Mac 8GB Memory
Learn and get certified!