BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

Where's Boris?

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Here's a bit of fun for everyone and a chance to hone your BIMx navigation skills!

ENTER TO WIN A $100 VISA GIFT CARD! Download the BIMx project, open the project in the free BIMx app and find the codes on Boris. Enter your answers in the survey. Brought to you by BIM6x. Winner announced next month! Good luck!

Cheers,
Link.

05f2cd2c-418c-422a-801c-41a2372eaf78.png

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wrong section.

Shouldn't this thread be moved to "Ads" area of this forum?
Karl Ottenstein
Anton wrote:
Wrong section.

Shouldn't this thread be moved to "Ads" area of this forum?
Arguably, not, so I'll leave it here unless the site admin feels differently. Here's why: the post is not advertising a product or service, but encouraging people to learn to use Graphisoft's BIMx product. Anyone can 'play the game' without having to submit a contest entry - and presumably the VISA gift card is valid world-wide without obligating the recipient to do anything other than provide their contact info for receipt of the prize.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Arguably, not.
Got you.

"ENTER TO WIN $100 VISA" in all caps and a direct promotional link to author's commercial web site in one paragraph did set off a spam filter for me.

Note to myself: need to lower my mental spam settings.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
We really wanted both ARCHICAD users and non-users to experience BIMx, while highlighting some of its features and promote thinking outside the box.

BIMx is truly a differentiator for ARCHICAD users!

To get the word out to everyone, the contest has also been published on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, as well as our own newsletter.

The caps was simply copy/pasted from our original article.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
We really wanted both ARCHICAD users and non-users to experience BIMx, while highlighting some of its features and promote thinking outside the box.

Out of curiosity:

BIMx is more than a decade old application showing its age at every seam.

Why promote it now? Why not 5 or 10 years ago when it was really revolutionary?
Why do that using your commercial company name?

I understand that you are an ArchiCAD reseller, but still, you run your own separate consulting business, have a commercial offer in your forum signature, and promote that business on the back of recent round of BIMx campaign run by GS.

Not trying to sound negative, but even the survey link in your post is linked to a form designed to collect e-mail addresses from ArchiCAD community, so you can push your company's newsletter out.

I still think this thread belongs in "Ads" section as it is about promoting your company just as much, if not more, than about promoting BIMx.

p.s. As BIMx promotion goes, "BIM6x Where's Boris" file is rather poor representation of BIMx experience.
With large mesh/file size leading to very slow frame rates even on highest spec devices (slow frame rates are known to be a cause of dizziness and headaches), poor object mesh quality, odd texture selection, lack of any 2D documents (why not to include them for BIMx promotion if anyone can see them even with a free BIMx version) it is hardly a promotional material.
Karl Ottenstein
Anton wrote:

Have you tried BIMx recently? Age does not mean no improvement with age to allow it to still be revolutionary.

With the combination of 3D navigation, linked 2D document views that interact with and generate corresponding 3D views, marker navigation, cutting planes, measurement/info tools, etc. - there is nothing else on the market to compete with it.

What would you suggest is more advanced than this?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Have you tried BIMx recently?
Karl, I am not particularly sure why, being a moderator on this forum, you are asking me to hijack the thread and go on a tangent, but yes, I have.
I have, also, used BIMx since it was a plugin a decade ago, installed it on all my iOS devices when it became available and took the "early adopters penalty" by paying $79 (before GS figured out the pricing) for the first BIMxPro the day it came out.
Karl wrote:
Age does not mean no improvement with age to allow it to still be revolutionary.
Well, not really. Revolutionary means like nothing else on the market. These times have passed a few years back.
Karl wrote:
What would you suggest is more advanced than this?
Like I said, I feel bad leaning into hijacking this thread, as it is about BIM6x advertisement that needs to be moved to "Ads" section, but here is a short list to make up for the last decade (if you are really interested, start a new thread, I will join it and gladly map out development roadmap to help BIMx to get back on track):

Lights. Any type would be an improvement, as there are no lights at all. Links to ArchiCAD's own light sources would be swell.
Mirrors. Integral part of architectural design.
Sunlight. Even though an abridged BIMx application on Windows and Mac OS has sunlight — iOS Hypermodel does not. Link to ArchiCAD sun and ability to move it around dynamically corresponding to specific location, date and time (not through incomprehensible azimuth, altitude values) would be good too.
Texture baking. This is by far the easiest one to implement and to bring wow-factor back into play. Having Cinerender built into ArchiCAD directly, it is a crime we don't have it.
Multithreading. How about bringing aging BIMx plugin up to date in ArchiCAD (on Mac OS, possibly, on Windows) and making it multiprocessor aware? It takes ages to create BIMx model from ArchiCAD on Mac, as only one thread is active. GPU is also underutilized as there are mentions of BIMx using GPU for calculations.
Karl wrote:
With the combination of 3D navigation, linked 2D document views that interact with and generate corresponding 3D views, marker navigation, cutting planes, measurement/info tools, etc. - there is nothing else on the market to compete with it.
Mmm...... everything you mentioned and more is available in other packages for a while now. It might be the time to look around and refresh you perspective on this, Karl. Again, feeling very uncomfortable hijacking the thread, but Revizto, for instance? .

p.s. To get this conversation back on track, I still feel this thread belongs in "Ads" section.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Anton wrote:
Link wrote:

Out of curiosity:

Why do that using your commercial company name?

I understand that you are an ArchiCAD reseller, but still, you run your own separate consulting business, have a commercial offer in your forum signature, and promote that business on the back of recent round of BIMx campaign run by GS.

Not trying to sound negative, but even the survey link in your post is linked to a form designed to collect e-mail addresses from ArchiCAD community, so you can push your company's newsletter out.

I still think this thread belongs in "Ads" section as it is about promoting your company just as much, if not more, than about promoting BIMx.

p.s. As BIMx promotion goes, "BIM6x Where's Boris" file is rather poor representation of BIMx experience.
With large mesh/file size leading to very slow frame rates even on highest spec devices (slow frame rates are known to be a cause of dizziness and headaches), poor object mesh quality, odd texture selection, lack of any 2D documents (why not to include them for BIMx promotion if anyone can see them even with a free BIMx version) it is hardly a promotional material.
Anton, I'm not going to defend BIMx here as I think it's success speaks for itself, but you seem to have a lot to say for a Junior Member. Sadly most of your comments do come across as negative and in some cases, including this one, are completely off the mark.

We do not collect email addresses to 'push our newlsetters out'. That's not what a company with integrity and years of award-winning experience does. To notify the winner, we were going to just guess their email address, but figured it would be simpler to ask them.

As for the model used in our BIMx project, we exclude 2D Documents to protect our clients' intellectual property and respect their privacy. If the rest of the experience is making you queasy, perhaps you can put your iPad 1 away and have a lie-down? Then perhaps study for the next ARCHICAD Competency Challenge?

Jokes aside though if you are indeed a training consultant, may I kindly suggest you spend your time here offering users constructive, helpful advice rather than complaining and hijacking threads? I'm sorry our attempt at having some fun upset you so much.

Karl please feel free to move this to the Ads section. This post has already received more attention than it deserves!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
If the rest of the experience is making you queasy, perhaps you can put your iPad 1 away and have a lie-down?
Oddly, it was a highest spec'd Air2.
Link wrote:
Then perhaps study for the next ARCHICAD Competency Challenge? 😄 :P
There are none left for me. Took them all. 😞
Link wrote:
I'm sorry our attempt at having some fun upset you so much.
Don't worry, Link, it didn't. Just voicing my opinion.
Link wrote:
Karl please feel free to move this to the Ads section. This post has already received more attention than it deserves!
I agree.