BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Which app Renders the biggest and best image for the buck?

tsturm
Newcomer
Our office needs to render an image which is over 20,000 pixals across.

ArchiCAD cannot do this. It seems the DPI box in the sizing box is just a teaser. AC renders nothing bigger than 72 ppi. and maxes out at 4048 x 4048 pixals.

Of all the other applications that are out there. Could anyone provide a rough break down on Renders based on
cost,
speed to render,
ease of use and scene setup,
networkability
and features like radiosity?

thanks
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Stefan,

since you're our official "crash test dummy" for everything that renders out there, here's a link I thought could tease your investigative skills:

http://www.coala.uniovi.es/~jandro/noname/team.php

Unless you've tried it before of course.

Cheers

Francois
Anonymous
Not applicable
The original of this image was rendered @ 20000 pixels wide
to be printed @ 300dpi on photogloss paper.
With Artlantis 4.5 on a Dual 2GHz G5 took about 5 hours with max settings.

And I've rendered several others of various projects at similar image sizes.
Usually 1:100 scale elevations @ 300dpi or so.

Hope that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
A quick check of Cinema 4D shows that it can only render to 16000 pixels.
This application provides the best balance of cost and ease of use but can exploit a dual processor for stills only - net rendering can only be accessed for animations.

It also has a direct export feature allowing smooth import of ArchiCAD files...

That will be some big image.....
Dwight is right, "Hey that rhymes!?!"

Anyway C4D can be tricked to achieve 48000 pixels x 48000 by using the "Tiled Camera Object" - see information in the Render King Thread

You can be using three different computers to render each segment of the still image by using Net Render with the Tiled Camera Object.

I agree, have a good talk with the guy printing this Mega-Poster. See what resolution will get you in focus, stay with procedural shaders, click render and then drink a huge pot of coffee.

And please don't upload the results, DJ will croak.

Mark
Anonymous
Not applicable
Burginger wrote:
And please don't upload the results, DJ will croak.
Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable
All this talk about HUGE! prompted me to finally try a large size print. Kinkos Copies are having a SALE on 24"x36" color prints with foam core mounting. Good enough for me so I loaded up a file to RenderKing.

http://renderking.com/

I have a complex commercial building model that Michael Rensing built with ArchiCAD w/export to C4D. The camera is using the tiled camera object to split the image into 9 sections. The RenderNet at RenderKing allocates a different sections to 9 ((2Ghz machines)). The render started last night around 11:00 PM pst. The image contains many reflections, and radiosity is being used. The resolution of of each section is 1600x2400. The final assembled image will be 4800x7200. The print will be 24" x 36" @ 200ppi.

The first frame came in quickly, it was mostly sky, the second image came in after about 9 hrs., it didn't contain any reflections and a sample of the image is attached on this post.

Now the camera angle chosen allowed most of the frame to contain equally complex items and I will guess they will finish approx. the same time. Rendering in this fashion allows 9 machines to work at one time, freeing my office machine for typical drafting today. I can't say enough regarding the value offered by having a RenderKing account. If it takes 15 to 20 hours for this rendering to complete, that would compare to tying up your best office machine for 9 days straight!

I will post the results of this test after the frames are complete.

"Spock, where the hell's the power you promised?" -- Kirk
"One damn minute, admiral" -- Spock (Star Trek IV)
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!