Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

White Model Effect AC20 issues

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good afternoon everyone!

I have started using the cool White Model Effect setting to quickly render some interior scenes.

As you can see from the image, i am facing some issues, mainly the evident patchy surfaces (and not nice and clean)

Can someone please put me on the right way to get better at this?
I believe it has something to do with the light/shadow setting, but i wouldn't know. Basically, being an interior scene, i need lights. What I did, i put the window light object on every window, as well as assigning the Glass Light material to actual lamps (you can see they are lit up) but apparently it's not enough. Any other hidden settings i should be aware of?

I also attach the render settings.

Thanks!

20170125_Giulia - Picture # 2.jpg
3 REPLIES 3
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Light material does not actually cast light, it just shows a glow.

That said, what you are looking for in terms of fixing is the global illumination.

If you go to the PhotoRendering Settings, go in to Detailed Settings and scroll down to Global Illumination.

There are a lot of things you can adjust, however I've found that the Presets work ok for me. Start with Interior - Preview, this should already be a much higher setting than needed for outdour renders and reduce the spots dramatically. If it still has too many spots, go for Interior - High, but expect long render times.

If the render is too dark, go to Physical Render, Physical camera and adjust the exposure (ISO), F-stop and shutter Speed as you would on an actual camera for interior photography. You will probably get over exposure on the windows, but this is what would happen with interior photographs too.

A neat trick to quickly illuminate evenly is to use a global light (not sure of the name in your library, I have the dutch localisation) and set that up to just light the whole interior of connected rooms evenly. There is button you can untick for light to decrease over distance. If you place it behind the camera it can act like flash or professional lighting that any photographer will use for those fancy photographs you would see in the architecture magazines.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Another thing that I find works nicely is to use the physical sky for illumination, so with the sun. You can turn off the sky visibility, reflection and refraction under Environment > Physical Sky. This way you have the white model look, but take advantage of the illumination. I sometimes turn off Shadow Casting too.

Be sure to check under Clouds that they do not Cast Shadows, as this will cause some of those spots as well.

I like the Friendly Afternoon sky for a nice evenly lit scene.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I once went through the detail settings, but it was before i had to render.
then i totally forgot (it took me few minutes to see them right there in front of me)

it was actually set up for exterior.. now with the interior-preview looks as smooth as i need it!

thanks so much for such a quick reply!
after this trial render i will try to play around with other settings.