Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

White Model Render with reflective surfaces?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Greetings

As the topic suggests, I am currently working on a render of a project. I wish to use the White Model Effect, or at least have a similar appearance on my render (e.g. without any textures being included, just shadows on gray surfaces). I have been able to create what I wanted by simply ticking the box "Use White Model Effect" under Render Settings in the PhotoRendering Settings dialogue box. However, the part of my project that I want to render features a couple of mirrors along one of the walls. I would really like to include the reflective quality of these mirrors as it changes the spatial quality quite drastically, something I would like to portray with my rendered image.

I have tried a few different settings already, but find myself unable to get the results I want. As I am fairly new to ARCHICAD, I thought I'd try here!

My question is: is there any way to combine the use of the White Model Effect with fully reflective surfaces? If not, is there any way to achieve a similar result?

Thank you in advance!

/Tore
15 REPLIES 15
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Quick and dirty fix: hotlink your project PLN to a render PLN, purge all attributes, make a white material, a 'glass' material and a 'mirror' material.

Start deleting and replacing the materials of your project with one of those 3.

Do a normal render, don't use white model effect.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Erwin

Thank you for your reply! This seems like a reasonable solution, I will try it when I get the chance!

One would think there would be a way to do it through the render settings... I tried turning off the "Use White Model Effect" while also turning off textures, which gave me a really strange result, not at all close to the look of the White Model Effect.

Best,

Tore
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice Trick Erwin. (we are missing the thumbs up emoticon here, and the like button).
I hope Graphisoft add these options in Archicad soon, because the cinerender engine is able to do this (is not in Archicad because we have like a lite version of it), in Cinema 4D you can do it easily by just pressing a button.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Now, with the GO on AC20 this is easy
Thanks, God for the new GO in Archicad.
arqrivas wrote:
Now, with the GO on AC20 this is easy
Thanks, God for the new GO in Archicad.
. Show example please

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I will do an example, when I go back to the computer, but the idea is just to override all surfaces but the one you want to reflect, in this case the mirror, an if you want a reflective surface that has color to show reflecting but without color, then copy the surface, make it white, (you could even keep yhe bump map) and override.

I'll post an example asap.
Thanks for posting that tip again. I think you have explaind this to me before. I just never got around to trying it. I will post this image for the sake of those who are not sure what we are talking about.

This is what I want to do with CineRender.

I use this kind of White Model a lot. And I like to show the glass as dark and shiny.

I made this several years ago with Maxwell Render.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
HI, Steve, for some reason I can't see the Pic
That's good to know. I used an Image Shack forum style link.
Can anyone else see the image in that post?

How about this direct link? http://imageshack.com/a/img339/2303/wipbd.png