BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

Why GS...WHY torture me like this? BIMx BIMXPro and BIMXlab

rob2218
Enthusiast
why are there so many flavors?
see attached as to when to use which one.

Also...if my clients have BIMx and I have migrated to the BIMx Lab, then their files (BIMx files) are all of a sudden outdated...and they can't open them?

Again...why?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
21 REPLIES 21
To start: https://bimx.archicad.com/en/#compare-apps

BIMx web viewer is essentially the BIMx app on the Web so your client only needs a link rather than downloading and installing the app. The web viewer is platform independent. Either is free.

BIMx Pro just adds some features to the BIMx app, like measuring and printing, and you pay extra for those features.

BIMx Labs is an experimental version of BIMx that can handle the visualization of much larger projects by restricting the generation to only what you are looking at. You probably don't need this one.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
rob2218
Enthusiast
BIMx Lab has a more “refined” beautiful appearance.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Rob,

Thank you for sharing your experience!

As Richard has mentioned (thank you very much, Richard!), the BIMx PRO is a paid version that has certain extra features comparing to the normal BIMx app, which is free. The problem is, both apps are still running based on an old engine with some limitations.

BIMx is under a transition period. The BIMx Lab, which is currently available on iOS, is re-written based on a new rendering engine that supports larger models, and especially has every feature that the BIMx PRO has. If your client is having an iOS device, I highly recommend using this version since its new 3D engine is capable of opening much more complex models on mobile devices.

Later on this year the BIMx Lab will replace the regular BIMx app. We're very sorry for any inconvenience and thank you for your understanding!

Have a great weekend, and stay safe!

Best regards,
Minh

P/s: You can read more about BIMx Lab here

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

rob2218
Enthusiast
I hope someone at GS can straighten all this BIMX, BIMX Labs, BIMx Pro stuff out...seriously.

GS, don't let this get out of control like the layer-combination fiasco from version to version....please.

I love the BIMx product line.
I think "THIS" is the next-gen client presentation tool to be used...so get it right this time...please GS.

I'm also very impressed with the graphic quality of the model in an ipad pro for example as you move around the model.......it's stunning...keep it up the good work GS but please........please, get your BIMx line in control.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Stress Co_
Advisor
I want to know WHY, when I'm in BIMx Pro, and I try to import
a model from the BIMx transfer site... it only prompts me to open in BIMx Lab??

Edit: Using iPad Pro, iOS 13.3.1
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It may be because BIMx Lab was the last installed version and so it associated itself with the BIMx file format. So, when you click the file link, it opens with BIMx Lab. Your operating system should let you modify these file associations, so it opens with BIMx PRO.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Marc,

From my experience with iOS and using BIMx, I assume you open BIMx Pro, and add the model via the model transfer site? From the screenshot, it looks like the site is open in Safari. Due to the restriction of iOS, it seems like once BIMx Lab is installed, iOS will set it as the default application to open BIMx file. I haven't found a way to bypass this restriction and set BIMx Pro to be the default application to open the file with.

There is a way to get around this issue, which is to download the BIMx file directly to your iPad. It's a bit tricky to do so, but it's not impossible:
- First, press and hold the blue "Download model" button, until it "floats" on the screen. While holding the finger on the screen, drag and drop the link to a text editor or a note-taking app (I use OneNote in this case)
- Edit "bimxapplication" to "https"

- Copy and paste the link into a web browser. The bimx file will be downloaded and stored on iPad (it can be found in the Files app)
- Now you can click the file and open it with either BIMx Pro or BIMx Lab.

But my suggestion is, if you prefer to work with BIMx Pro and use it frequently, I suggest removing BIMx Lab to make sure the default application to open bimx files is BIMx Pro. But maybe you'll want to give BIMx Lab a try !

I hope with will help you with the issue!

Have a nice day, and stay safe!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

rob2218
Enthusiast
Holy CR*&P!
Such gymnastics to see a BIMx model.
...this is why clients shy away from this wonderful, potential game-changing tool.....it's freakin' too complex to make it work.

I have a client who keeps calling me and asking "Can you help me re-establish the BIMx on my ipad? Seems that it doesn't work anymore"..................hubboy. There's no amount of excuse I can give him that will make ME feel comfortable except..."Sorry, upgrades and (ahem) NEW improvements by the developers........once again, sorry"...........

Guys (GS) you gotta stop.
I'm fully aware of "improvemets"...but for Pete's sake.....stick to a format and hone it. Please.
No BIMx Pro, BIMx Labs, BIMx....sheesh..please.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Stress Co_
Advisor
mnguyen wrote:
But my suggestion is, if you prefer to work with BIMx Pro and use it frequently, I suggest removing BIMx Lab to make sure the default application to open bimx files is BIMx Pro. But maybe you'll want to give BIMx Lab a try
Hi Minh:
Thanks for that (and for your frequent posts on these boards).
Yes. I am using safari on the iPad.
I guess it's similar to opening .pln files on my desktop, always defaulting to the latest installed version of Archicad.

I actually prefer using Bimxlab, but have been awaiting a final version before I delete BimXpro & BIMx.
I've found it easier (except for when I share the file with clients or contractors) to save the BIMx file to a local folder and then airdrop it to my iPAD.
Much faster than waiting for it to upload to the transfer site.

Hope you and yours are staying healthy
Cheers,
Marc
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!