BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Why do I keep getting "Update to Frame"

dcerezo
Advocate
Hey all,

I updated to AC 23 and I noticed that when I resize Drawings on my Sheets, I keep getting this "Update to Frame" or "Full Update" when I resize the frame. How do I turn that off? I don't remember this ever happening in AC22 and prior to that.

Thanks!
ArchiCAD 26 - iMac 27, Late 2019, 3.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Radeon Pro 8GB, macOS Sonoma
16 REPLIES 16

These guides are usually very helpful but I just glazed over after about 2 mins of constantly hearing the word crop... The only point of note was the potential need to rebuild a cropped view from an external source.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

We want to avoid holding up the user with an automatic update. So we give you the control when you are ready.

James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager

But for what I assume is the majority of us on simpler projects, todays processors probably can redraw quicker than it takes to respond to the update request. If you still think it is needed then as @Jeff Kogut suggested, please give us an option in the Work Environment to still crop / update but have AC stop asking.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

@DGSketcher wrote:

If you still think it is needed then as @Jeff Kogut suggested, please give us an option in the Work Environment to still crop / update but have AC stop asking.

As James said, uncheck "Crop Drawing to Frame" in the Drawing Settings.

Make sure the default settings for the drawing tool is set the same way.

You might want to check your template as well and re-save that with this setting turned off.

You can then still crop the frames just as in previous versions, but you won't be prompted with the message now as hidden (cropped) part of the drawing will always be there in the background (adding to your file size and possibly affecting performance).

I guess it could have been turned of by default, but then as a new feature, probably no one would then use it.

But at least we all have the choice as to whether we want to use this feature or not simply by changing the default tool setting and the settings of any placed drawings.

Its not a Work Environment on/off option, but it can be done, and should only need to be done once for your template and all future jobs.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

@Barry Kelly wrote:

You can then still crop the frames just as in previous versions, but you won't be prompted with the message now as hidden (cropped) part of the drawing will always be there in the background (adding to your file size and possibly affecting performance).

And there lies the issue. We're given the wonderful choice of being nagged by the redraw / update request or having bloated & slow files because having a switch to ignore the update requests and proceed automatically with the redraw seems to be a problem for GS? I use cropping a lot to extract various parts of plan views. Expanding the areas and continuously seeing these redraw requests is an unnecessary interruption that disrupts the workflow. I thought we were supposed to be working towards AC being simpler & more efficient? Well this is a nice simple test for that commitment...

@James B )

This was very helpful.

Thank you mate.

ArchiCAD user version 12 to 26
2019 Intel-based MacBook Pro (15-inch)
Mac OS 12.7 (Monterey)
Intel Core-i9 (2.3Ghz)
16Gb RAM (2400Mhz - DDR4)
AMD Radeon Pro 560X 4Gb

Im also with you Jeff, one hundred percent.  

I understand why they did this, but not having a global switch for this is both incomprehensible and regretable

Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!