BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Will GS implement dwg in reviewer?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wonder what you people think? Will Project reviewer deal with dwg drawings as well as dwf? I like everything about the reviewer but the inability to let the user download dwg drawings. All the other consultants are using AutoCAD so....
/Mats
10 REPLIES 10
Djordje
Ace
mathome wrote:
I wonder what you people think? Will Project reviewer deal with dwg drawings as well as dwf? I like everything about the reviewer but the inability to let the user download dwg drawings. All the other consultants are using AutoCAD so....
/Mats
DWF is Autodesk's format for drawign management on the Web and over the Web; mainly for data exchenge and redilining, NOT for further development. The purposes and working methods are disctinctly different, as with (for example) PDF and PlotMaker layouts.

Therefore I feel that the DWF is the right format to choose - the latest flavour, that is competing with PDF (or at least is trying to) would be prefereble.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
what do you guys think about adobe's svg format? anyone think this could become the new standard?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
mathome wrote:
/Mats
DWF is Autodesk's format for drawign management on the Web and over the Web; mainly for data exchenge and redilining, NOT for further development. The purposes and working methods are disctinctly different, as with (for example) PDF and PlotMaker layouts.

Therefore I feel that the DWF is the right format to choose - the latest flavour, that is competing with PDF (or at least is trying to) would be prefereble.

Well....dwg IS the standard...and for now I (most of us) has to work with dwg for the 2D documentation. I only want the possibility to download the dwg-files from the reviewer. When actually using the reviewer its dwf of course.
/Mats
stefan
Expert
Autodesk is preparing the DWF-composer software and they are also preparing a DWG-viewer (not sure if it will be free, though, but I guess it will be). It won't be able to modify DWG-files, but you can view them and export them to DWF.
That said, I'm not sure it there will be a Macintosh solution... I guess not.

There is also a free Bentley View-software, which can read and display DWG & DGN, so that might be cool as well.
This is also PC-only

Virtual PC might be your Mac's best friend...
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan wrote:
Autodesk is preparing the DWF-composer software and they are also preparing a DWG-viewer (not sure if it will be free, though, but I guess it will be). It won't be able to modify DWG-files, but you can view them and export them to DWF.

There is also a free Bentley View-software, which can read and display DWG & DGN, so that might be cool as well.
This is also PC-only

Stefan! Thanx for the Bently View. I'm downloading it right now but... 66MB...for a browser..what the heck!?!?
What do you mean by Autodesk is preparing? Is it a software that converts dwf to dwg? If so it's cool!
/Mats
stefan
Expert
mathome wrote:
stefan wrote:

This is also PC-only

Stefan! Thanx for the Bently View. I'm downloading it right now but... 66MB...for a browser..what the heck!?!?
What do you mean by Autodesk is preparing? Is it a software that converts dwf to dwg? If so it's cool!
/Mats
Autodesk is preparing the DWF-composer, which will be some kind of redlining environment for editing DWF-files.
It will have a DWG-viewer and DWF-writer so you can read DWG-files and convert them to DWF.

It will not convert DWF into DWG, if that is what you were hoping.
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I’d like to see Graphisoft address this instead of leaving it Autodesk. Publisher/Reviewer was obsolete upon creation. While mostly workable, it’s a flatlander solution that ignores the inherent strengths of the virtual model. One of the key ways for GS to leverage AC would be in the creation a free, cross platform AC viewer. The value of the model would become obvious when all that imbedded data is made available to clients, contractors, consultants. As it stands we as AC users are often the only ones who truly appreciate all the built-in intelligence within ArchiCAD. Then we turn around and publish 19th century documents, missing an opportunity to provide more value for the same effort because we lack the tools to complete the loop. Were GS to address this neglected area of development AC would instantly become more visible to a broader market, not only making this one of the best advertising moves they could make but generating some much needed interest in GDL amongst maufacturers.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Djordje
Ace
Geoff wrote:
I’d like to see Graphisoft address this instead of leaving it Autodesk. Publisher/Reviewer was obsolete upon creation. While mostly workable, it’s a flatlander solution that ignores the inherent strengths of the virtual model. One of the key ways for GS to leverage AC would be in the creation a free, cross platform AC viewer. The value of the model would become obvious when all that imbedded data is made available to clients, contractors, consultants. As it stands we as AC users are often the only ones who truly appreciate all the built-in intelligence within ArchiCAD. Then we turn around and publish 19th century documents, missing an opportunity to provide more value for the same effort because we lack the tools to complete the loop. Were GS to address this neglected area of development AC would instantly become more visible to a broader market, not only making this one of the best advertising moves they could make but generating some much needed interest in GDL amongst maufacturers.
Hear, hear!

Very true, Geoff!

BUT - the reality of the profession is that flatlanders rule; the Reviewer is geared to exchange of the dumb drawings, the samller the better, which are still the main means of information (hah!) exchange in the profession.

Until each and every owner of a building related company knows how to read his own email (instead of his secretary printing it out) and open the reviewer and r5edline the files (this is very much to ask, believe me!) the VB issue will be a "progressive"one.

There is a whole bunch of them waving red flags crawling in front of our photon engined VB craft ... and, to be fair, the Reviteers too!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
stefan
Expert
Even though I truly love the VB/BIM concept, the reality is that you need 2D-drawings in practical information exchange: building permits, contractors on site, consultants, clients, ...

So ArchiCAD should, despite it's 3D-model power, not neglect a good 2D-drawing exchange with the rest of the world

(but keep pushing untill IFC becomes a 'de facto' standard instead of DWG or DWF --- yeah, keep on dreaming --- that is not going to happen...)
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Learn and get certified!