Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Window casing, frame and sash not showing 100% in section view

artktecture
Contributor

AC24, using the W1 Casement 24 object in a complex profile wall (or any wall for that matter), I can't get all of the lines for the interior and exterior casing or the window frame/sash to display in section view.

Pic#1 is the top of the window

Pic#2 shows the missing lines I want displayed (in red)

Pic#3 after I add a complex profile window header, the thick red line also does not display

I've tried every combination of settings I can think of. Is this a building material priority, a fill, a junction order issue, or something else? This has bugged me for years and I really want to solve this. 

Thanks in advance

artKtecture uses Archicad 24/Twinmotion
Lenovo Thinkpad | Xeon E2176M@2.70 GHz | 32GB | Quadro P4200 8GB
Oculus Rift S VR tours
Contour Rollermouse Red Plus (ditch your mouse and get one of these!)
Using a highly modified Shoegnome template (Thanks Shoegnome!)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

So, I found two problems going on.  One is with the settings for your section marker; the other is the fill settings for the window object.

I couldn't see exactly what you see, since I used the USA default template where the pen colors don't match what you have in your screenshot, but I placed an out-of-the-box W1 Casement 24 in your wall and duplicated your section and saw a simlar issue - the joint lines were not showing.  This setting in your Section settings was the culprit for that:

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 6.07.57 PM.jpg

Changing Fill Cut Surfaces with... to "Cut Fills - as in Settings" showed all joint lines.  With "Own colors", since all pieces of casework are the same color, they merge.

Next I changed that Section setting  cutting through your W1 Casement 24, where a variety of parameters had been changed... and I still didn't see the joint lines. Your casing, frame, and sill cut fills were all the same - so they merged.  By changing to unique fills, the joint lines show.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Make sure the Building Materials they are using are different, otherwise the fills of the same Building Materials will be merged in section.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Where do I change the building material in the W1 Casement 24 object? The only settings I can find are for the surfaces...

Oculus Rift S VR tours
Karl Ottenstein

I've never seen this behavior, and just tried to reproduce it with an out of the box composite wall and W1 Casement 24 and changing all kinds of settings/materials and the lines always show for me.

Could you select just the wall used in your screenshots and save it as a module/MOD and post that here?  MOD files don't include attributes, so we might not be able to see what's going on from that, but it's a tiny file so an easy first step to take a look.

Select the wall, then

File > External Content > Save Selection as Module...

Open the MOD on your computer, cut a section through it, and verify that the issue is shown, then upload the MOD file here.

If this platform doesn't let you upload MOD files... then just zip it and upload that.

AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Had to zip the file, thanks for looking into this. 

Oculus Rift S VR tours
Solution

So, I found two problems going on.  One is with the settings for your section marker; the other is the fill settings for the window object.

I couldn't see exactly what you see, since I used the USA default template where the pen colors don't match what you have in your screenshot, but I placed an out-of-the-box W1 Casement 24 in your wall and duplicated your section and saw a simlar issue - the joint lines were not showing.  This setting in your Section settings was the culprit for that:

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 6.07.57 PM.jpg

Changing Fill Cut Surfaces with... to "Cut Fills - as in Settings" showed all joint lines.  With "Own colors", since all pieces of casework are the same color, they merge.

Next I changed that Section setting  cutting through your W1 Casement 24, where a variety of parameters had been changed... and I still didn't see the joint lines. Your casing, frame, and sill cut fills were all the same - so they merged.  By changing to unique fills, the joint lines show.

Thanks, it was the cut fills. I already had the section set to "Cut Fills - as in settings".

Do you know if there is a way to turn off the "merging" of identical fills rather than changing to unique fills?

Oculus Rift S VR tours