Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Work in progress, lighting problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I'm having problems with a rendering. I want a nice lit picture (facade especially) but i also want soft shadows. So i turned the ambient light strong and the sun a not so strong. I thought that would do the trick... But i'm not so satisfied with the result, suggestions anyone?
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
more sunsettings, same picture
Anonymous
Not applicable
the picture so far
Dwight
Newcomer
In view of the fact that there has been several days for others to reply, I feel obliged to step in, but since I am also tiring of saying the same things over and over - things that reside in my book, I'll just list the issues in point form for you to search other postings:

Realistic sun - increase divergence for softer shadows

NO SUCH THING AS WHITE: give sun a color

NO SUCH THING AS WHITE OR SISSY BLUE: give ambient a proper color

Don't adjust LightWorks Effects Dialog Ambient until Sun Dialog Ambient is 100% - a waste of time.

Look up "Undersun" to fill shadows from below

Add skylight - a proper color

Come to my seminars in two weeks:

Washington DC, Philadelphia, New York, Boston.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
My 2¢...

I don't find the solid brown massing elements on either side to make an attractive frame. As foreground elements they should either be detailed, translucent or just go away.
Dwight
Newcomer
Right.
Why waste pixeltime on such ugly framing?
It also just pushes the detailed subject farther away from the viewpoint.

This is usually the place for winsome female figures gazing admiringly at the building.

Or hoodie-clad teenaged boys on skateboards if you want to give an overtone of street theft.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
The reason there is this 'ugly' framing, is that the picture will be placed in a picture (taken on-site) where two buildings are on both sides of the path 😉😉 so that explanes why those are there. So it's easier to fit the actual photo.

And i try to use your book as much as i can Dwight, except. i'm working with Archicad 10 now...and i wanna use the real sun function. But this guy (me) never got the supplement for your Lightworks In Archicad 10. I've got the book for Archicad 9. And in 9 there's, as you know, no REAL SUN!

So...i wanna know good settings for Real Sun in archicad 10...

But for the record, i do use the hellezon.
I gave sun a color
Ok, maybe i gave ambient a sissy color
And i'm combining it with the real sun..( but don'y know how).

If my boss likes to pay, I would love to go to Washington DC, Philadelphia, New York, Boston 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Right.
Why waste pixeltime on such ugly framing?
It also just pushes the detailed subject farther away from the viewpoint.

This is usually the place for winsome female figures gazing admiringly at the building.

Or hoodie-clad teenaged boys on skateboards if you want to give an overtone of street theft.
OR... winsome female figures gazing admiringly at hoodie-clad teenaged boys on skateboards... for a whole different story (fantasy?).
Anonymous
Not applicable
jmpasman wrote:
The reason there is this 'ugly' framing, is that the picture will be placed in a picture (taken on-site) where two buildings are on both sides of the path 😉😉 so that explanes why those are there. So it's easier to fit the actual photo.
Phew, glad to see the full picture. That's what I meant about more detail.

Now I have to say that the woman in the foreground is a bit dominant.
Dwight
Newcomer
Too bad you missed me in Eindhoven.

I am sending the link to you by Private Message for the Archicad 10 supplement.
Look forward to the 11 supplement later this week.
Dwight Atkinson