BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Work in progress, lighting problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I'm having problems with a rendering. I want a nice lit picture (facade especially) but i also want soft shadows. So i turned the ambient light strong and the sun a not so strong. I thought that would do the trick... But i'm not so satisfied with the result, suggestions anyone?
17 REPLIES 17
Dwight
Newcomer
Matthew wrote:

Now I have to say that the woman in the foreground is a bit dominant.
Perhaps we should avoid fantasy.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Too bad you missed me in Eindhoven.
I was there in Eindhoven, we had a conversation about brick walls...using the archicad shader or an alpha channel mapping. I'm still using the archicad shader by the way, cause i don't need close-ups of walls.

Anyway, looking forward for your mail about 10, and thanks!!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Now I have to say that the woman in the foreground is a bit dominant.
Perhaps we should avoid fantasy.
I didn't say anything about chains and leather.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well running out of time... i'll post the result tomorrow. Dwight, i couldn't import your link yet, cause we have a blocker on our server, therefor i havent used your acad 10 tips yet. So i've done the ACAD 9 way.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope in the morning there will be a great image, hahahaha...
Anonymous
Not applicable
....Here it is...(it's hard to get any depth behind the glass panes). But with time running out, this is the result we came up with.
0624-071011-REN-achter_AT.jpg
Dwight
Newcomer
Looks good.

I wonder what the foreground chick is looking at.
It is just out of the frame.
Probably something a dog did.
"Just watching my step…"

This is nicely composed.

If you had more time you would try to emulate the beautiful golden Dutch sunlight and blue skylight.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Dwight,

I still have a question. Do you place your people only wit PS? In this rendering most people are rendered as well (alpha-people ) but i'm not so pleased with that, i had to alter them in PS as well.

Another point is the gallery on the first floor. I wanted it to light out, but i find it hard to let the light behind the windows to stand out. When rendered without the glass, the walls are nicely lit, but with the glass it really flattens out and most details(*) are gone. Did you ever encounter this problem?

(*) the detail consists of a brick wall with portals with behind a, wall with a shop-facade-material (flat wall). I,ve curved the wall, so i thought there would appear some shading at the top and lighting at the bottom, but allas..
Dwight
Newcomer
Figures in computer renderings are poor because they are difficult to match with rendered models. Because of this problem, I exclusively place figures with Photoshop. Since i consider each viewpoint a composition, I wait until the scene is composed before adding figures. Its art.

If you want wall effects, you've got to apply lighting artificially to get those effects. What you want seems distant from the camera - hard to show at a distance.

Remember my lecture about glass - keep it artificially transparent and artificially reflective and your renderings will work better.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!