Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Working with Layers States in Layout Book

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been drafting a set of plans that needs to show different phases of construction.

In the layout book I have created a few sheet sets that all reference back to the same floor levels but with different layers active. I am finding though that I have been unable to make each of these plan layer states unique.

example: when the layers are good for Phase 1 drawing, I start to make the layers good for Phase 2 drawing only to realize that I have been messing up the Phase 1 layers.

Not sure if this question has been addressed elsewhere, but I have been unable to find to find a solution posted so far.

Thanks,
squaresquire

ArchiCAD 15 US | Mac OS 10.6.8 | 2.4GHz Intel Core i7 Quad Core Mac Book Pro
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Use the renovation filter!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
Use the renovation filter!
In regards to the renovation filter, it does not seam to have the flexibility that I am looking for. Is there really no way to have two first floor plans that have unique layer states in the layout book?

Are you not able to have unique layers states, but are able to have unique renovation filters in the layout book?

Maybe if it was possible to add renovation categories (I think I will need more then 3) this would be a viable solution.

Thanks,
squaresquire
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, you can have unique layer states - save them as Layer Combinations in the Layer Settings, and assign the Layer Combination to your Views. Place Views on Layouts.
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
Yes, you can have unique layer states - save them as Layer Combinations in the Layer Settings, and assign the Layer Combination to your Views. Place Views on Layouts.

Thats what I have been trying to do! unfortunately when I place two first floor plans on different drawing sheets and assign them different saved layer combinations they remain linked (changing one drawings layer combination adjusts the other as well).

-how do you assign saved layer combinations to a drawing? I realize that I have been right clicking on the drawing in the sheet and selecting modify source view settings, could that be my issue? How else can you assign a saved layer state to a drawing?

Is there an option that I am missing that allows them to be unique?

Thank you for your many suggestions and help,
squaresquire
Barry Kelly
You must create views in the View Map section of the navigator.
Each of these views has a different layer combination set to it (as well as pen set, scale, model veiw options and a few other settings) that will be specific to that view.
You then place these views on the layouts as drawings and they will always remember how you set them up and will not change unless you go back to the view and change the settings there.
Never place anything from the project map on a layout.
And make sure than none of the views in the view map have "custom" in their settings.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
You beat me to it, Barry. I was going to offer the same advice, with the attached image...
Anonymous
Not applicable
That solved my problems, thank you all very much for your help