BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Xref in Archicad-diff between "attach" and "overlay"

rob2218
Enthusiast
I know what the diff is in Autocad but in Archicad....what happens when you "attach" a DWG vs "overlay"?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
15 REPLIES 15
rob2218
Enthusiast
Ok, so this is what we have.
In the dreaded "autocad" we have a site plan. that site plan is called "Site-1.dwg"
this site plan DWG has attatched (not sure if overlayed or attached yet) other DWGs which is called "Plan-1.DWG".

So...whats the best method/practice.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Checking the Help files as a first step would save you a lot of waiting time.
If you press F1 in the Attach XREF Dialog it will take you to this help page:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-18-int-reference-guide/user-interface-reference/dia...

But to answer your question: the Plan-1.dwg is nested within the Site-1.dwg if I understand correctly. So to be safe you would have to use the Attach method, because with the Overlay method the nested DWG (Plan-1.dwg) will not be displayed in ArchiCAD.

As a sidenote: I myself prefer placing DWG files as a Drawing because that way they will not mess up my attributes with the attributes in the DWG file. Plus, if you select the placed DWG, you will still be able to access the layers within the DWG and change their visibilities in case it is needed.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks Lasz.
will read help files.
I'll try the "place drawing method" of adding the site plan.
which one (xref attach) or (drawing placement) retains the DWG files lineweights?
do any of these retain their lineweights?
I remember being told by someone on this forum that the "xref attach" is the best bet instead of the "place drawing" method....wonder why that was?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Line weights in AutoCAD are not part of a Pen definition like they are in ArchiCAD, but a separate setting for each element.
So in a DWG file you can have several elements with all kind of colors, while their line weight can be the same.
Or, you can have several elements with the same color, while the line weight of each can be different.
In ArchiCAD elements with the same Pen always have the same line weight.

In the DWG/DXF Translation Setup Dialog you can define Pen-Color Conversion tables, which will convert a DWG element with a certain color to a specified ArchiCAD Pen. But I think that is about the most you can do. The way the two programs handle line weights is so different that there is no good solution.

Maybe we would need a DWG/DXF Import option that would make it possible to map AutoCAD line weights to ArchiCAD Pens, that would probably provide a better solution for this case.
rob2218
Enthusiast
doh....bummer.
So...the architect did a bunch of work in Autocad. He has a site plan...very messy filled with lots of engineering dimensions, points, elevations, trees...etc...so we are trying to come up with the best solution where I can either import the DWG file, slap it on an Archicad sheet and be done with it....therefore if changes need to be made in Autocad he (the architect) can continue to make revisions and I'll simply "update" the 'drawing' or 'xref DWG' but the lineweights is what's gonna kill me.

How to get the DWG from autocad to come into Archicad and maintain their pen weights from Autocad....and not have to create a penset for yet "another" 256 pens....hubboy.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218
Enthusiast
Also...isn't the whole hangup about inserting a DWG as a "Drawing" vs. inserting it as an XREF DWG ATTACH the whole "layer" issue?

Right now I have the DWG xref'd into ARchicad. Throws all sorts of additional layers in my Archicad layer list I DO NOT want to see.

It's my understanding that I can simply bring in that same DWG as a "Drawing" grabbing it form an external source, place it in my layout and the layer list wont be populated...is that not the case?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you can make him do the following, that might work:

Tell him to set the color and line weight of all elements to BYLAYER. The effect of this will be that the color and line weight defined for a Layer will be applied to the color and line weight of all elements on that Layer.
This way all elements with a given color will have the same line weight.
Then when you import that into ArchiCAD, you can map AutoCAD colors to ArchiCAD Pens.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
rob2218 wrote:
Also...isn't the whole hangup about inserting a DWG as a "Drawing" vs. inserting it as an XREF DWG ATTACH the whole "layer" issue?

Right now I have the DWG xref'd into ARchicad. Throws all sorts of additional layers in my Archicad layer list I DO NOT want to see.

It's my understanding that I can simply bring in that same DWG as a "Drawing" grabbing it form an external source, place it in my layout and the layer list wont be populated...is that not the case?
Yes, if you bring the DWG as a Drawing, it will not bring its attributes into ArchiCAD's attribute set - a cleaner solution.
rob2218
Enthusiast
wondering then if....the DWG from Autocad is brought in as a "Drawing" into Archicad...if it will retain then it's autocad lineweights?
hummm..
laszlonagy wrote:
rob2218 wrote:

Yes, if you bring the DWG as a Drawing, it will not bring its attributes into ArchiCAD's attribute set - a cleaner solution.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions