BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

Zermatt [and in 2009: Virtual Building Explorer]

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anybody heard some news about the zermatt engine? We know it sort of stopped beeing developed any further but any idea if there is still a future for this product?

Thanks Carsten
142 REPLIES 142
Anonymous
Not applicable
Clients HATE do download any plug in, also the quality of an vrml file is very poor and way to slow for big models. ( even very large models in Zermatt are fast to walk through, just like a good video game! )

Another thing is after you open the Zermatt.exe file you have a lot of options within the software, turn on shadow, radiosity light, layers on off collision detection,etc. So you can't really compare this at all to vrml.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would not be so drastic about VRML . Exits poor vrml and exists good quality vrml (for example Archicad VRML optimized with Vitruvian Studio).
In my opinion the advantages of VRML are: very short size, great interactivity (possibility to use editors to modify textures and furniture in front of the customer in realtime ) much more comfortable way of real time navigation (speed control, mouse navigation, terrain following, collision detection, gravity etc... ) , possibilty to put links to other 3D scenes, web pages, documents , images, videos, etc ..., possibility not only to e-mail 3D files , but to let navigate it online, because VRML is the standard (open source ) for WEB 3D.
I tried Zermatt engine , it is not bad , but I hate to use two hands (mouse and keyboard) to navigate the 3D file. Moreover their prices are out of market.
Thomas Holm
Booster
What's the difference between Zermatt and Vitruvian Studio?
http://www.vitruvian-studio.com/
This one is 199 Euro. Did Zermatt do anything VS can't?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am sure there are advantages to use vrml with the right project as long as it is a small project. Just saved out an vrml file from ArchiCAD, same project as I was talking about above, 44 MB! Belive me this file is not usable, where as Zermatt thinks it is a pice of cake using large ArchiCAD files.

Yes Zermatt should have been more around 300-400 Dollars.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Carstene wrote:
I....I was talking about above, 44 MB! Belive me this file is not usable....
Yes You are right, the VRML created by ArchiCAD and other CADs is too large and not usable (I think everybody knows it). Vitruvian Studio was born to solve this problem.
If you simply "open and save" your 44 MB file with Vitruvian Studio you get a vrml file of 2BM and you can walk through it without problem (even online).
With VS I usually optimize and edit ArchicAD 3D files up to 150-200 MB without problems.
There are many tools to optimize vrml from CAD, Vitruvian Studio is the only one designed specifically on the basis of the characteristics of ArchiCAD.

Giovanni Dragone
Vitruvian Studio Staff
www.vitruvian-studio.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
sounds good, as soon as I have some time on my hands I will try this out, thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I realy like this product! And I hope they didn't realy stop development.

Is there any alternative beside Vitruvian studio, anything that could create executable file?
Paul King
Advisor
Thomas wrote:
What's the difference between Zermatt and Vitruvian Studio?
http://www.vitruvian-studio.com/
This one is 199 Euro. Did Zermatt do anything VS can't?
Vitruvian Studio seems potentially useful VRML tool especially in terms of file size minimisation, but unfortunately VRML as a format cannot compare at all with the user experience that Zermatt offered:

Zermatt navigation involved great visual atmosphere with sun flare & misty infinite sky, radiosity-like lighting effects, shadows, different rendering modes, simultaneous plan & 3D view etc, as well a a vastly superior walk through mode where collision detection actually WORKS, (unlike VRML) - so your viewpoint rises as you walk up hills or steps etc., and where doors are automatically recognised as openings. Also nice features like motion bob & multi "player" networking - where two users could interact inside same model etc.

The navigation controls for Zermatt were far more intuitive & easy to use as well as it used classic 3D shooter key bindings.

Basically Zermatt focussed on creating a great walk through experience unlike VRML which is a much older technology & non architectural in focus, and uses the lowest common denominator of graphic technology - basically well below most users quality expectations when marketing & presentation of your ideas is so important.

A real shame that it disappeared - but it really was too expensive.

Please Graphisoft, buy the technology & include it with version 12!
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Anonymous
Not applicable
...............as well a a vastly superior walk through mode where collision detection actually WORKS, (unlike VRML) - so your viewpoint rises as you walk up hills or steps etc., and where doors are automatically recognised as openings. .......
Sorry, but before talking about VRML, you should try it ... In the field of Realtime 3D the VRML is known for its INTERACTIVITY and for the best and more comfortable navigation mode (collision detection, gravity, speed control, terrain following, mouse navigation...).. of course in a vrml scene you can go up and down stairs and open doors ...
Zermatt is a good product, but you need both hands to walk through the scene and I would not say this is the most comfortable way to walk through.

Giovanni Dragone
Anonymous
Not applicable
With the greatest of respect, Giovanni, using two hands is the best way to control your movement in a three dimensional space (without having to buy further equipment). Why do you think that all first-person-shooter games use the keyboard and mouse controls? It only takes a bit of practice if you're not used to it!

Is there any chance in the future of further enhancing Vitruvian Studio with better lighting and shadows, or is it limited by the VRML format.

Also, regarding the file sizes, please don't specifically limit the program just to keep the file size very low. Any client will more than likely have access to broadband these days so 30mb would only take a few minutes to download. Our 6Mbit connection in the office can download one of your 2mb files in about 10 seconds! Why not make the files a bit larger with more information in! The client is going to be spending 10s if not 100s of thousands of pounds on the building, waiting 10 minutes is not a problem.

Please don't think I am criticising your program. Many people appreciate your hard work and time spent designing this program for our use. Its just that some enhancements could make it even better!

Thanks.

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!