Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Zone Stamps and Zone Categories

matjashka
Enthusiast

Hello,

I used to create my own zone stamp object with the default settings I needed.

Fast forward to version 26, I can't change the Category without resetting the stamp (expected behavior) but I also can't apply my favorite Stamp settings without applying the Category. Basically I'd need to create a Favorite for each Category in the project, which is counterproductive -- the Stamp is the common element, Category is not.

Should I understand that Graphisoft is planning to completely abandon Zone Stamps in the future and use Zone Labels instead? The Zone Label 26 object has more limitations than the Zone Stamp.

For now, I created my own version of the Zone Stamp with preferred defaults, should I be approaching the problem differently?

Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
2 REPLIES 2

I couldn’t say whether Graphisoft are abandoning Zone Stamps or not but in functionality I suggest the following.

If you have the capability of scripting Zone labels l would shift over to that approach. It means you can place different text in all of your different plans in the location that suits you. That approach will work for you for labelling zones in section. So you have a single approach for text placement. 

9 years ago we developed a zone stamp that enabled you have different stamps in different locations for each plan type. Moving to labels makes it significantly easier, as there isn’t any MVO management for Zone Stamps needed anymore. 

Yes, sadly that will mean you need a favourite for each zone category. But that approach will help people in your team to follow a favourites modelling process to improve the quality of your information in your projects. 

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed
AC6 - AC27 | WIN 11 | i9-10900K, 3.7Ghz | 32GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX

Thanks Nathan.

For now, I decided to continue with Stamps just because they offer a bit more flexibility in terms of content. If I change my mind, I'll just turn off the Stamps and place labels as needed.

The flexibility of positioning is a big plus of the Zone Label vs. the Stamps.

I recently tried to decipher the GDL that is used for labels in the latest versions. The code has become quite complicated and the chain of macro dependencies makes it much harder to understand. Everything in the code seems to have multiple layers of abstraction. I'd probably just have to write my own code for labels, without any dependency on Graphisoft macros. If I have the time for it, that is.

Happy New Year!

Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA