Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Zone Tool and calculation of gross/under roof sf of building

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to find out how the majority of users are calculating their gsf for a building. In the past I have always used a drawn a shape exterior finish to exterior finish to encompass the entire hvac area of the building to get to my gross square footage, then garage and porches/patios etc separately to get my total "under roof". I am now contemplating using zones for that but am quickly realizing that this is a bit more complex than I thought. Drawing wall as composite gyp/stud/sheathing/weatherbarrier, then drawing cladding separately with cadimage. This method gives me a few issues.. My WB is only 1/16" thick and my core is frame+sheathing, so getting zone areas to close with construction lines gets tedious. The other is my "gross area" calculation now really does not include the thickness of my cladding as the gross zone only calculates the composite wall, but not the cadimage cladding, so I get an inaccurate gross sf count of the building.

How do you calculate your building areas?
0 REPLIES 0