Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Zone category doesn't apply changes to the zone stamps

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello

When changing parameters in the zone category they don't automatically apply to all of the zones that belong to it (exception is for the colour only).. I must set each zone from their own dialogue box if, for example, I want to set a different height of the text. If I do change it in the category , nothing happens to all my zones..doesn't make sense to me..why do we need a category then..or did i get something wrong..
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, and it is the intended behavior.
What you set in the Zone Categories Dialog are default parameter values. Which means they will apply to all new Zones placed from there on.
So you should change values in the Zone Categories Dialog before starting to place Zones.
To change values of already placed Zones, display all Zones in the 3D Viewpoint, use Find & Select and the Zone Category criterion to select Zones and change their values.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
...But why is it that if the Zone Category of an existing zone is changed to one with a different Zone Stamp, it does not take on the attributes of the newly assigned category/zone stamp, specifically font style and text justification?

Joe Augustine
ArchiCAD 20
(since 8.0)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I checked this a little bit and found that if you switch from one Zone Category to another in the Info Box, the default settings defined in the Zone Categories Dialog do not get applied.
However, if you select a Zone, go to its Settings Dialog and change the Zone Category there, the default settings defined in the Zone Categories Dialog DO get applied.
It seems to me that this is due to the fact that when you enter the Settings Dialog the various scripts of the Zone Stamp can run and so it can update to the changed default values defined by the Zone Category.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Marc H
Advisor
I have always had problems with the Zone Stamps after upgrading to the newest AC version. I start by importing (and/or adding) my custom zone categories in my template. I normally have to also pick a new zone stamp (as the new versions tend to drop the older ones). I then customize the zone stamp parameters (e.g., uncheck frame, turn off finishes, etc.) for each of the new categories.

I think I'm all set, and then I go to test it by placing a new zone, but the default zone stamp parameters show up, completely ignoring my category level parameter edits. My workaround is to edit the placed zone, save it as a favorite, then use the favorite from that time on. Of course, this means a favorite for each of my zone categories. Another way, at the project level (during deadlines) is to globally select the placed zones and edit the parameters of the selection set, but that is also extra work.

I'd appreciate a pure solution as the logic of the zone categories immunity to cascading custom parameters escapes me.

BTW, AC 21 zone stamps are really a great improvement! So much more versatile. I do wish the parameters were view dependent, but I'm thinking the new scaling feature may be somewhat useful in that way,
“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors