BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Zones Length X width

Tom Krowka
Booster
Any way to get the length and width to show up in a V18 zone....automatically based on the actual length and width of the zone.

Seems like it should be pretty easy.....but I don't see it in the parameters and don't know how to program it.

Very valuable for schematics.
Thanks
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
11 REPLIES 11
Tom Krowka
Booster
Any way to get the length and width to show up in a V18 zone....automatically based on the actual length and width of the zone.

Seems like it should be pretty easy.....but I don't see it in the parameters and don't know how to program it.

Very valuable for schematics.
Thanks
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Tom Krowka
Booster
Part 2 to the question......any way to make a zone show up on more than one floor? Such as an elevator shaft?
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Matt Balaam
Enthusiast
I don't think this is possible because zones don't have to be square/rectangular. As soon as the shape is anything other than a square or rectangle the length and width basically become useless.

If you could find the coordinates of all the corners you could potentially calculate the length and width but I can't see a parameter for this either.
AC21 (8002 AUS FULL) | AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000
Barry Kelly
No need to post the same question in different parts of the forum.
I have merged the post together here.

As mcjh_matt said zones don't have x and y parameters as they are not necessarily rectangular - although usually they are drawn that way.
It may be possible through GDL but it would mean comparing every node x and y value to get the minimum and maximum values.
The problem with that is that a zone could have any number of nodes.

I just have a room size object that I stretch from one corner to another diagonally and it gives me the length and width of the room.

Maybe the zone stamp could be scripted to have stretchy hotspots and the values could be derived from those.

Since 17 zones can be linked to stories but as far as I know there is now way to display them on multiple storeys even if their height spans across those storeys.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
This one uses hot spots for length and width
http://archicadstuff.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/room-schedule.html?m=1
Tom Krowka
Booster
Seems like AC can do just about everything but build the project for you.....but can't do that simple X and Y information. Also seems like if someone can figure out how to do it with the simple object you refer to then AC could figure it out also.

Sorry for the sour grapes, but the zone tool could be great for schematics if it could include these two features. Otherwise I'm duplicating work.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
vistasp
Advisor
hfs55 wrote:
This one uses hot spots for length and width
http://archicadstuff.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/room-schedule.html?m=1
I'd made this object in AC13 so it's been a while but I think there are some bugs in it. You need to stretch the diagonal hotspots for the object to read the room dimensions. There's another one in the depository as well--can't remember the name--that does a similar job.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Tom Krowka
Booster
Thanks, will check it out. But ideally, would like to have this abililty with the AC 18 zone tags as they have a lot of good functionality.

Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Vistaps
I thought so too but couldn't find anything.
Learn and get certified!