Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

align add drawing in layout

Anonymous
Not applicable
how do i align the drawings in the layout?
the pencil cursor doesn't seem to pick on the other added drawings.
please help.

print- i am using fineprint2000 for 24 x 36 paper size. i see there is a smaller blue rectangle within a large red rectangle which l beleive is the 24 x36 paper size. can anyone clarify this.

thanks,

ac7r3/xphome
10 REPLIES 10
Djordje
Ace
lsid wrote:
how do i align the drawings in the layout?
the pencil cursor doesn't seem to pick on the other added drawings.
The question is, how is your layout set up?
lsid wrote:
print- i am using fineprint2000 for 24 x 36 paper size. i see there is a smaller blue rectangle within a large red rectangle which l beleive is the 24 x36 paper size. can anyone clarify this.
Reading the documentation would help a lot, as well as posting a screenshot.

What is your problem is that your paper size and layout size do not match. How is your layout set up? Printer, etc? Please post screen shots.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
djorde,
i managed to get a draft in 11 x 17 via pdf using the acrobat distiller.

as for the drawing alignment, i layout the added drawings in plotmaker.

the drawing file has 3 stories; so i saved each story in pmk.

this is where i can't align the 3 plans on the plotmaker.

------------------------------------------------------------------

the other way, which seems rather cumbersome is i copy and paste the other stories onto the main flloor and layout them in archicad and then add this drawing into pmk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

what is the best way to layout the added drawings?

ac7r3/xphome
Anonymous
Not applicable
Put hotspots in the drawings in ArchiCAD. Use these to align the drawings in PlotMaker. (This is such a fundamental method it really should be prominently indicated in the manuals.)
Djordje
Ace
lsid wrote:
i managed to get a draft in 11 x 17 via pdf using the acrobat distiller.
Good, so you found out where the Custom postscript size is?
lsid wrote:
as for the drawing alignment, i layout the added drawings in plotmaker. the drawing file has 3 stories; so i saved each story in pmk.
Of course you are doing this in PlotMaker. BUT - don't save as, Publish! Save a QuickView, previously defining a layer combination and a display options set, for one storey, save as QuickView. Then go one storey up, save QuickView, and so on - or, save a cross storey Quick view. Now go to eh Publisher, define a Publishing set. This all had been discussed to GREAT length at the times of 7, two years ago ... see it on eScribe.
lsid wrote:
the other way, which seems rather cumbersome is i copy and paste the other stories onto the main flloor and layout them in archicad and then add this drawing into pmk.
Don't do this.
lsid wrote:
what is the best way to layout the added drawings?
1. Make your blank layout, specifying the sheet size and the layout size. If you want all the sheets in the same LAY file, specify a paper that can accomodate all of your sheets, or go for one LAY per sheet.

2. Draw in your titleblock etc, or paste from wherewer you already have it (ArchiCAD, AutoCAD ...)

3. Place PMKs as needed; use hotspots in ArchiCAD for aligning, if putting more than one PMK on the same sheet in the layout, or hotspots in the reference points of each sheet on the multisheet layout

Again, a screenshot (press PrintScreen; open Paint; paste; save as JPG; post here) of what you get would help all of us help you!

HTH
Djordje

HP Omen
Djordje
Ace
I am posting a screen shot of an old project, November 2000, done in 6.5.

You can see the layout - blue is the layout size, housing 10 A3 sheets (297x420mm, or approx 11x13 inches), red is each sheet size that is defined in the Print setup. So the layout can have as many sheets as needed! In the layout size, be sure to define the number of sheets you need.

Hope this helps you to orient yourself.

Now with 8.x and Layout books, all of these exercises are redundant, and if you can get an upgrade soon, do it!

HTH,
Djordje

HP Omen
tsturm
Newcomer
Matt has the right idea for getting drawings in PM layout book to have hotspots so you can align plans from different PMKs.

I would add that these hotspots should be on the ArchiCAD layer so they will always be there when the PMK is written (not matter the layer set) as other hotspots set to other layers will shut off when that layer is shut off and thus the hotspot in the PMK is gone.

If you use a title lollypop, this is a good spot to locate the hotspot at.

Word of caution, Anything put on the ArchiCAD Layer cannot be locked so this hotspot can be erased if you are not careful.
HTH
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Aussie John
Newcomer
One trick I do to help alignment ( particularly section and elevation views) is to make sure the title ( which of course is on the ArchiCAD drawing) is always at the same RL. When I place a room elevation I can just line up the "frame" and the building elements line up too. Hence no messing with hotspots.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
The only problem with putting the hotspots on the ArchiCAD layer is that they will show in all plans (I suppose this can also be an advantage). I usually put them on the annotation layer for each drawing so I can adjust them individually as needed.
Anonymous
Not applicable
i emailed gscne last night about the upgrade cost from 7.0 to 8 and still no reply.

i will try the above.....thanks, thanks, thanks....