BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

associative labels don't show object's thickness

Takis
Expert
Hi, in Archicad 21 for Windows (10 x64) associative labels don't show object's thickness.
I have already updated to the latest Library update (Library-21-INT-Update-4527-1.1) and some things have been corrected though the thickness is not displayed on the object's associative label.

In the attached files you will notice that objects are custom defined, but this really doesn't matter, the problem occurs with original EN Standard objects also.

Takis
10 REPLIES 10
Takis
Expert
Adding 2nd file.

Takis
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The Thickness parameter is not going to display that specific value in case of Objects.
Certain element types, such as Objects, have Width, Length, and Height, the 3 main dimension parameters you can define in their Settings Dialog. Thickness as a parameter does not apply to them, so no Thickness parameter is displayed in the label even if you check them.
Watch this get a better understanding of how this works. You will also see what type of element have a Thickness value that will return a valid parameter in the Label:

https://youtu.be/r6D3SzzGd2Q?list=PLnXY6vLUwlWV4o6WaXSS4RR1ZW5CPeFgN&t=140
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Takis
Expert
Dear Laszlo, many thanks for the info, it was very helpful.

Because these objects are structural, is there any way to display their wall thickness as selected in their parameters?

I can always write it by hand but this is very risky for making mistakes.
Also the wall thickness for these structural objects should be written last and not in front of the cross section dimensions, i.e RHS 100X50X4.

Thanks,

Takis.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Unfortunately, I cannot give you any solution to this.
This would require a Label element with the ability to display the value of any parameter of any GDL Object, something I am not even sure would be possible to do in GDL.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Takis
Expert
Dear Laszlo many thanks,
so the only thing that remains is somebody to do something for this object / beam / column Label extension.

Hopefully, soon in the next Archicad 21 Library update?

Takis.
Takis
Expert
Dear Laszlo hi,
the Associative Dimension Label cannot even display the cross section dimensions of a simple solid timber roof beam object.

Is there any other way to display the associative cross section dimensions of this timber beam?

Takis
Karl Griffith
Booster
I think if you use the 'Text/Autotext' Label, you can access those properties of your object via the autotext button.
ArchiCAD 22

Win 10
Takis
Expert
How will I access via Autotext the properties of the objects?
Autotext is something you describe by hand.
I don't think that this suggestion applies to the problem.
Here we are talking about construction BIM technology where everything is parametric and predefined.

Takis
Karl Griffith
Booster
With the Text/Autotext Label you can both access object properties and insert custom text. If you select this label, and in the 'Text Label' drop down menu select "Clear Text", when you click on you object it will prompt you to enter the text. Clicking on the AutoText icon will give you access to to not only Project Info, but also Object Properites, as shown in the attached image "AT02"

I drew a quick concrete beam, labeled it with information from the properties (with some custom text for ":" and "x"), and labeled the object. Then I drew a wood beam, eye-droppered the label settings and clicked the wood beam, and the label took the correct properties from the wood beam. See image "AT03".

I think this does what you are looking for, but perhaps I misunderstood. At any rate, it's really the first I have experimented with this label, and I know I am going to use it!
ArchiCAD 22

Win 10
Learn and get certified!