Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

auto labelling

Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
Hello all, nice to meet you all (my first post) here goes
Does anyone have a hint on how to create an associative label that contains data directly from the object that is being labelled.
ie. can I label a roof maker rafter and have the label contain the length. Or label a steel section and have the label contain the section size and weight.
This is something that I have being trying to do for ages using properties and keys etc but with no luck

TIA

Ben
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
15 REPLIES 15
TomWaltz
Participant
The easiest way to open a Label object is to place one through the Label Tool, select the Label, then click File > GDL Objects > Open Object....

This will at least open the Object Editor so you can see the scripts.
Tom Waltz
PatriciaLe_o
Participant
Thanks Tom. I opened some but are the text, ID and internal ID labels not able to be opened? And those I could open... I don't know why I thought it could help me... I don't get a clue what's all about! So naïve...
Do you know someone who might have done the label I wanted??
Patricia Leão

AC21 INT Full
MacOSHighSierra
TomWaltz
Participant
Text labels are not objects, so they cannot be opened. (They are just text and lines).

I don't remember ever seeing label objects called "ID" or "internal ID", so I cannot say.

I don't know of anyone who has done what you're looking for. It's definitely possible to call out almost any parameter of anything you have placed, but it's not going to be easy (even for those who are more experienced with GDL)
Tom Waltz
PatriciaLe_o
Participant
The ID and internal ID must be then just labels then... They exist on the objects settings, label settings box, as in image. With them I can get automatic label showing the walls ID's for example, but this is completely useless for me! I thought that it would have the same logic, but instead of showing the ID, the label would show the object property...
TomWaltz wrote:
I don't know of anyone who has done what you're looking for. It's definitely possible to call out almost any parameter of anything you have placed, but it's not going to be easy (even for those who are more experienced with GDL)

Thanks anyway for telling me the real situation... I´ll just sit on the corner and cry...
ID things.JPG
Patricia Leão

AC21 INT Full
MacOSHighSierra
TomWaltz
Participant
OK, it looks like those are just like the Text labels and are not objects. Sorry!
Tom Waltz
PatriciaLe_o
Participant
Tom! I have to say it... You're reeeeeally FAST!!!!!
Thanks a lot!
Patricia Leão

AC21 INT Full
MacOSHighSierra