BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

background display in 3d window / Render Safe Frame

RandyC
Advocate
3d window shows two grey bands and a white center in the background
resizing window makes bands get bigger , 3d image also crosses the bands

2nd Arch 18 file running with same settings (at the same time) does not show this behavior.

All window settings appear to be identical

Does anybody know of a command that produces this ?
The banding is now on my template file I would like to know how to
remove it without redoing my entire template.

Thanks, Randy

BACKGROUNDS.png
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
3 REPLIES 3
RandyC
Advocate
additional view of " offensive grey bands "

Bands resize and move with change of size in 3d window
snip4.PNG
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
Karl Ottenstein
You say 'offensive', I say 'delightful'...

This is a new option in 18 related to rendering that somehow got turned on for the project you're working on. The US template default is 'off'.

It's called the "Render Safe Frame" which allows you to see what part of the 3D window will be rendered. We've never been able to see that before...resulting in trial and error renders, or post-render cropping in an editor. So, it's a great thing! Except for when you don't want to see it, like now. 😉

There's an on/off button in the "3D Visualization" toolbar... or menu: Document > Creative Imagery > Render Safe Frame

There is also a checkbox for the same feature in the Size panel of the Rendering Settings dialog. So, 3 places where it can be turned on/off... and the setting is memorized as part of views AFAIK.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
RandyC
Advocate
Thank you Karl , I will try to "appreciate" it now that I know what it is !

Randy
Learn and get certified!