BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

blue pool & water features disappear when viewed thru glass

Anonymous
Not applicable
In open gl, when looking toward the exterior thru any windows or glass openings the exterior modeled transparent/translucent blue pool and water features (modeled with blue slabs) don't read blue, in fact they don't read at all.
It's like they aren't there at all.
Is there a setting somewhere that can correct this situation?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is a jpg showing how the pool should look.
++pool showing.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
OpenGL seems to have issues/limitations with tranparency.

Perhaps if you set the water transparency to 49%. This may cause OpenGL to treat the secondary transparency as opaque.
Karl Ottenstein
I'm guessing that something is amiss with your OpenGL window option settings.

There is an issue - described by Dwight in his Lightworks in ArchiCAD book - with Lightworks only being able to render transparency through very many surfaces - but not an issue in the OpenGL window that I know of.

See the attached screenshot and try this on your system. I copied a bunch of 'basic' walls of Glass material and put a column behind them. In OpenGL I see all of the walls, and see through all of them to the column. Is this possible on your system?

Note the image on the right from Lightworks...where the column is not visible because after a few walls, the remaining walls are not rendered as transparent.
glass-walls.jpg
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Attached are the 3D Window > OpenGL settings I had for the image in the last post, in case any of the settings there look different from yours.

Contours (which I usually have off) and sun shadows (which I usually have on) shouldn't make any difference with the issue you're showing.
Screen Shot 2013-07-19 at 9.14.55 PM.png
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Barry Kelly
This is a problem that is at least 4 years old they seems not to have been fixed even though processors have improved.

See this old post ... http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=29573&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=glass&&...

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks for posting that link, Barry. Wow. I remember that original thread, but not the definitive answer from Graphisoft via Ed Brown. Sure seems like it should be a user choice if we want to wait for transparency processing. Interesting.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,

Matched your settings and now the water shows more than before, but it's
sporadic. upon changing the view angle the water will either be there or it
won't. About 50% chance at splash. Better than before 0% chance when looking through glass.
Karl wrote:
Attached are the 3D Window > OpenGL settings I had for the image in the last post, in case any of the settings there look different from yours.

Contours (which I usually have off) and sun shadows (which I usually have on) shouldn't make any difference with the issue you're showing.
Learn and get certified!