Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

calculate area with measurement tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
The measurement tool is only showing area in metres to the nearest metre. How do I get it to display to 2 decimal places.
The project preference settings for both working units and dimensions are set to 2 decimal places for area measurement but does not display as such in the measurement tool dialogue box.
Can anyone assist please?
3 REPLIES 3
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Chris:

What I am seeing is that the area accuracy is controlled by Working Units > Numbers without Units (bottom item). I think it should be controlled by the Area Unit. The unit type is controlled by Dimensions > Area Calculations. This all seems buggy.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Chris,

Thank you for sharing the issue!

As David mentioned (thank you very much, David!), the number of decimals is controlled by Numbers without Units. From AC22, the Working Units settings had more customizations, in comparison to AC21:

You may want to see the old Help Center article here: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/64835/ (this is is for AC21)
and this is for AC23 https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/88365/. The same applied for AC22.

I believe the field Numbers without Units is the old Decimals Displayed in Dialog Boxes, however, we do not have any indication about this. Let me ask the developers for more details.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Chris,

I just received an explanation from our developer: Area Unit affects the tools that is with "editing" purpose, but Measurement tool does not carry editing purpose. Therefore, it gets the information from Numbers without Units part.

I can see that it is confusing, Unfortunately, it's a legacy setting that is coming from previous versions, and it would be a big project for changing the way how it behaves.

Thank you for your understanding! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask me again!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT